How Do You Describe Your Desired Lip Augmentation Shape?

I've always gone to a female injector for my lip injection. I get one syringe of Juvederm in my top lip, and don't have to say anything but "porn star-ish" and voila, perfect results. I will be going to a male injector for my next lip injection. I have no idea how to describe what my usual injector does so what can use to describe my desired outcome? Pouty and full are vague. Please share what descriptions satisfied patients gave to you that helped you to understand their expectations.

The ideal lip augmentation shape

+2

The ideal lip augmentation is generally an enhanced version of the patient's existing lips.  Often close communication between injector and patient to perfect the desired appearance.

If we try to create a completely different shape the lip may appear sausage like or altered.

When a patient has down going corners of the lip, these can be corrected by dividing the DAO (depressor anguli oris) muscle.

Occasionally, it is beneficial to resect tissue above the lip to raise the corners as well.

V-Y advancement flaps can augment lip volume and reduce gumminess of a smile.

Long upper lips can be reduced by gull wing upper lip lifts.

Marionette lines and lip volume can be augmented by placement of fat-fascial grafts.

Depressed areas around the mouth can be augmented with fat- fascial grafts.

Asymmetries can be compensated for with selective use of the above procedures.

So there are numerous ways to alter lip shape.  Reducing wrinkles is another discussion as well!  An artistic surgeon can explain these procedures and how they would be best served to help you.

How to describe the porn star lips I want?

+2

A picture is worth a thousand words.  If you have a single photo, close up of YOUR lips taken when they had the look you like, show it to the injector.  If you do not have such a photo, take one (or several).

Steve Laverson, MD

+2

IMHO, nothing describes what you want like examples of pictures of the size lips that your'e interested in having from the Lip Augmentation using Juvederm.

Desired Lip Augmentation Shape

+1

A photograph taken post treatment with your previous injector will be sufficient to guide the surgeon in regards to your objectives.

Kris M. Reddy, MD, FACS

Lip augmentation with Juvederm

+1
The purpose of lip augmentation is to augment the patients lips to an enhanced version of what they have. There is also an overall aesthetic result you look for which is a natural fuller lip. Photographs of either yourself when you last had the injection or pictures in magazines are very helpful. Reviewing these photographs with your consulting injector will help make sure you are both looking for the same proposed result.

Michael Elam, MD

Lip augmentation

+1

It is not a bad ida for you to bring in some pictures just so that the injector can have an idea what you are looking for.

How to describe your goals with lip augmentation

+1

Typically the highlights that should be augmented in lips (with HA injection) are pretty standard on most people-- these normal highlights should not vary much from person to person. In those people that have VERY thin lips, additional HA can be added along the length of the lip to restore fullness. In general, if your provider is relatively accomplished with doing lip augmentation, there is not a great deal that you need to explain to them.

Matthew Concannon, MD
Columbia Plastic Surgeon