Will having a facelift improve my scleral show? (photo)

Photos show how bad it's my ectropion n indented scars r on both eyes.

Support for the lower lids requires several techniques

+3
Good question. I suppose that you have not had any facial surgery except for lower lid blepharoplasty. Your anatomy shows that you have large eyes, longer lower lid length, flatter cheeks (possible vector negative, judged on lateral view), scars on the lower lids, 1-2 mm of scleral show. Other necessary information would include symptoms of dry eye or irritation, lower lid snap test, tear (Shirmers) test and you desire for a facelift. Based on the listed complaints and photos I would consider a multilayer facelift with SMAS elevation and cheek/tear trough fat grafts to support the lower lids. A lower lid tightening canthopexy would also be necessary. There are other considerations depending on your exam but generally the lids are supported by the bedrock underneath (the cheeks) along with the tension of the lid itself. If your lids are a clothesline, you would need to tighten the line and provide support underneath. 
Thank you for sharing your photos.
Thank you for your question and the picture.
1. Begin with a board certified plastic surgeon and visit several offices
2. Seek a surgeon who does at least 100 of these procedures per year
3. Internet discussions do not replace the advice of your physician

Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Facelift and Scleral Show

+2
A facelift will generally not correct scleral show. A deep plane facelift is a technique of face lifting surgery that will also life the midface as well as the jowls and the neck. Even with the midface element of the deep plane facelift you will not get enough improvement in that area.  

A canthal tightening procedure seems to be the way to go.  Speak to an facial plastic surgeon, plastic surgeon or oculoplastic surgeon about this for the best advise as to how to move forward.

Jacob D. Steiger, MD
Boca Raton Facial Plastic Surgeon

A facelift will not help scleral show

+2
Scleral show must be treated with a canthoplasty or canthopexy procedure performed by an oculoplastic surgeon.
A facelift will address tightening up the jowls, laxity of the facial and neck muscles, removal of fatty deposits in the neck and tightening up facial and neck skin.
For many examples of what a facelift can accomplish, please see  the link below  to our photo gallery

Canthopexy not facelift is the proper treatment for scleral show.

+2
Thank you for your question. The canthal tendon which supports the lower eyelid must be lifted and tightened to correct scleral show. A scar release may also be necessary. A facelift will not correct the problem. Please consult an expert plastic surgeon who is experienced in eyelid surgery.

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

Will a facelift fix my scleral show?

+1
A facelift is most effective at fixing sagging in the cheeks, jowls, and neck. It is not effective in addressing lower eyelid laxity which creates scleral show. You would benefit from a canthopexy procedure which tightens the lower eyelid and anchors the lower eyelid in a more elevated position. Seek out a consultation from a facial plastic surgeon who is experienced in this technique or an oculoplastic surgeon.

Todd C. Miller, MD

Face lift for ectropion

+1
Thank you for your face lift question.
  • A face lift will not improve your scleral show
  • Depending on various factors, you may need a canthoplasty, a canthopexy, release of internal scar, skin grafts or more. 
  • You need to see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon, Opthalmoplastic Surgeon or Facial Plastic Surgeon interested and experienced in correction of blepharoplasty complications.
  • Bring your operative report and pre/post op photos with you to the consultation.
  • Best wishes. 

Elizabeth Morgan, MD, PhD

A facelift will not improve malposition of the lower lid after blepharoplasty.

+1
The facelift will have no effect on the position of the lower lids. Revisional lower eyelid surgery will be required the nature of which depends on the reason for the problem.