Neck Lift, Eye Lids and TCA Peel at the Same Time?

Do you feel it's safe to have all three procedures done at once? I'd like all done so I'm basically: one and done.

Peel with Eyelid and Face/Neck Lift

+2

Peels can be combined with facial lifts, but must be done very carefully and only on unelevated skin. Since peels, even when done conservatively, at the time of a lift can have an increased complication rate, I personally prefer other methods of skin rejuvenation.

Highlands Plastic Surgeon

Neck lift, eyelids, and TCA peel at same time NOT recommended.

+2

Neck lift and eyelid surgery are perfectly appropriate for a combined procedure, but lifting skin of the face and/or neck involves separating the facial skin from the underlying soft tissues and blood supply. This always diminishes the circulation to the "lifted" skin (which is why it is so critical for facelift/necklift patients to avoid all forms of tobacco or nicotine exposure--nicotine is a potent vasoconstrictor that can lead to dead skin).

Adding surface damage in the form of even a "mild" peel, to the subcutaneous dissection associated with the "lift" procedure, is just asking for healing problems that could lead to dead skin or scarring as severe or worse than that associated with smokers undergoing facelift/necklift surgery.

If the peel is to areas not lifted, then perhaps this is somewhat more "safe," but I would still recommend performing the surgical excisions/lifts first, then allowing the swelling to resolve as you heal over 6-12 weeks. Any fine lines that were obscured by swelling will again become visible, making the peel at this time an optimal enhancement, NOT an increased risk of severe scarring by trying to do "too much" at one time just to "get it all done!"

Be safe and do this in two steps! A peel is both easy and a fairly quick recovery when performed LATER on already-healed skin, not to mention much less risky for any sort of healing/scarring problems! BTW, I would reserve laser resurfacing for only the most severe wrinkle/sun damage cases (for mild issues, TCA is easier, extremely safe, and less costly), but would still do any peel or laser at a second procedure several months later. Best wishes! Dr. Tholen

Richard H. Tholen, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Can I do a neck lift, eyelid surgery, and a TCA peel at the same time

+2

It is very reasonable to do a neck lift and eyelid surgery at the same time. Surgeons may have differing opinions on whether or not to do a TCA peel at the same time. The peel does add another layer of complexity to the healing process which is fine as long as you are properly prepared for it. I would make certain that your surgeon has experience with the peel and understands the healing process. I would consider an Active FX CO2 laser as a possibility instead of a tca peel.

The amount of time that it takes to do the procedure is surgeon dependent. In my experience, and isolated neck lift (without a facelift) takes about 90 minutes. Upper eyelid surgery takes about 45 minutes, lower eyelid surgery takes about 30-45 minutes. 

Todd C. Miller, MD

Combining eyelid surgery and chemical peel

+2

Eyelid surgery and chemical peel can be safely combined.  However, the same may not be true for neck lift and chemical peel, depending on exactly where the peel is done and how extensive the neck lift is.

Mehryar (Ray) Taban, MD, FACS
Beverly Hills Oculoplastic Surgeon

+2

For the past 22 years, my opinion is do whatever is reasonable.  If you are healthy, a plastic and cosmetic surgery procedure that takes several hours should be well tolerated.  Traditional (full Neck Lifts) take about 3 hours minimally with 1 hour for the Eyelid Surgery and 30 minutes for a full face 30% TCA peel.  Ask your plastic and cosmetic surgeon the expected length of these procedures and then discuss if that amount of time seems reasonable in your particular case.  

IMHO, it's quite rare to have a Neck Lift alone as the tissues are elevated up and back making any excess skin above the jaw line (Jowls) evident as skin pleats. If Jowls are present, some form of minimally invasive Face Lift must also be perofmed to re-drape this excess skin...which will add surgical time.

Hope this helps.

Neck Lift, Eye Lids and TCA peel at the same time?

+2

Hello, It is quite safe to have the neck lift and your eye lids done at the same time. I do not advise having the TCA peel at the same time. You need to schedule the peel about a month   before or after the surgical procedures. Schedule a consultation with a Board Certified Facial Plastic Surgeon. Good luck to you.

David Alessi, MD

Balancing Safety and Results

+2

While it is understandable, one and done surgeries are not always the right thing to do. 

Joseph Campanelli, MD
Minneapolis Facial Plastic Surgeon

One and done is ok - if the experience is there

+2

These are routine surgical procedure to combine. Adding the TCA peel is just fine depending on the depth and areas being treated. Make sure your provider is very experienced at peel as they can have complications if done by inexperienced hands. In most cases the provider will only peel the central oval of the face deeply at the same time as facelift surgery. There areas where the lift is being done can also be peled but should be done at a light level

Benjamin C. Marcus, MD
Madison Facial Plastic Surgeon

Can neck lift, eyelids and TCA peel be done at the same time?

+2

A neck lift and eyelid surgery can, and is frequently done at the same time.  Is the TCA peel being planned for your entire face or just a portion of it?  It would also be important to know what type of neck lift you are having.  There are some surgeons who may not want to perform the TCA peel at the same time, due to concerns about your facial skin being more at risk from the neck lift.  You would need to speak to your particular surgeon to get a final answer.

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon

Necklift, Eyelids, and TCA Peel At the Same Time?

+1

The three can be done at the same time if only a true necklift is done with eyelids and the TCA peel is only done over the face.