I Want to De-Rotate my Upturned Nose

Hi, I got jaw surgery 6 months ago and it left me with a really turned up nose, that im very embarresed about. I've read alot about how hard it is to bring a upturned nose down and how the surgery could make it worse, which leaves me very discouraged. Im just wondering if i found a good surgeon in my area who specializes in nosejobs, what the chances are the surgery could make my nose worse, or more upturned than before. pleasee get back

De-rotation of an Upturned Nose

+2

Although decreasing rotation of an upturned nose is a difficult procedure, in 35 years I've never had a nose that wasn't better after surgery. If you find an experienced rhinoplasty surgeon to do your  work you will be satisfied with the increased length of your nose.

Derotating the nasal tip

+1

Brookee,

I'm not sure where you read that derotation of the nasal tip or nasal lengthening surgery could make the condition worse.  It is overwhelmingly more likely to make the rotation better.  Of course, it is surgery and somewhat unpredictable with some risks.  Worsening of the rotation would probably be on the bottom of the risk list though.  An experienced, board certified rhinoplasty surgeon should be capable of correcting your condition.  Good luck!

Kenneth R. Francis, MD

Nasal Changes After Upper Jaw Surgery (Orthognathic Surgery)

+1

I am sorry to hear about your troubling nose.  Nasal changes definitely occur after maxillary osteotomies (upper jaw surgery) and should be anticipated.  Some of these changes are for the better and some for the worse.  Your nose can be addressed with a rhinoplasty.  Generally for your case work with lower lateral cartilages and possibly your caudal septum is needed.  It is difficult to tell you more specifically without pictures.

Dr. ES

Earl Stephenson, Jr., MD, DDS

Derotating the nasal tip

+1

Derotating the  nasal tip can be accomplished with rhinoplasty surgery. Of course a good consult is necessary to review your anatomy.

Fixing an Upturned Nose

+1
An upturned or overly rotated nose tip CAN be lowered and, or down-turned. It is a straight forward operation for an experienced nose surgeon. I have never seen a case of lower jaw surgery cause nose tip surgery. It MAY may a pre-existing case be more evident but there being no communication between the two areas, it cannot cause it. Dr. Peter Aldea

Revision surgery for the upturned nose.

+1

A very experienced revision rhinoplasty surgeon should be able to lengthened and de-rotate your nose. I personally have never had a nose be worse after this operation and you should not be concerned abut his if you choose a good surgeon who routinely does revisions.

An upturned tip can be corrected

+1

You didn't say what type of jaw surgery your had, or whether your surgery involved rhinoplasty. Tip rotation is not a common event with surgery on the upper jaw, though sometimes the nose can flair a bit at the base during these types of procedures. The rotation of the tip can have many causes, and it is true that after time the skin sleeve can shrink and lengthening the nose and de-rotating the tip can be more difficult. Correction is possible, often through the use of cartilage grafts to help control the tip position. The number of techniques to correct the shortened nose are as varied as the underlying cause. We suggest you obtain your surgical record from the jaw surgery, and see an experienced rhinoplasty surgeon to determine just what has caused the tip to turn. There should be a solution at hand.

peterejohnsonmd