Dermatome for Stretch Mark Removal?

Stretch marks go as deep as dermis, and epidermis is what we see the marks on. I know that with split thickness shaving, they remove the epidermis and part of the dermis. Is it possible to use Dermatome to remove the skin where stretch marks are? If the epidermis and part of the dermis is removed, will it remove the actual stretch marks? I know this will leave scars. I do not mind. If people have scars from this because they have to then it should be okay for me too.

Dermatome removal of stretch marks

+1

Unfortunately stretch marks cannot be removed by any non-surgical method. What you are proposing may leave a more unsightly scar. The only way they can be removed is through surgery. Stretch marks are caused because the skin is stretched beyond its capacity to recoil. Its like a rubber band that is over stretched and can never regain its original shortened length. Any laser that claims to tighten skin has not addressed the basic physiologic problem which is a dermis that is overstretched. The laser will however help the coloration but the stretch marks themselves will persist. You have to ask yourself if the goal is stretch mark removal or if its the discoloration that bothers you. Your best option is to have them surgically remove where appropriate. Unfortunately not all areas are amenable to surgery. Visit with a plastic surgeon.

Stretch Marks Removal

+1

Stretch marks are real Stretch CRACKS. They are often full thickness cracks from the skin surface deep into the skin and as such they cannot be erased by any current tool on the market.

All Plastic surgeons are very familiar with the use of several types of dermatomes(surgical skin shavers). These tools are designed to either electrically or manually lift off variable thickness sheets of skin for use in reconstructive coverage applications (such as covering burns or raw wounds). A skin graft can ONLY be used when the area we borrow from can heal by itself and the resulting permanent wide and often darker scar is relatively hidden.

Partial thickness shaving of the tummy with a dermatome would result in HIDEOUS scars, which would be MUCH worse than the original stretch marks. These scars could NEVER be hidden and the area may not heal properly because the underlying scar tissue filled stretch marks will NOT be able to properly regenerate normal skin.