Mole Removed, Now 2 Months Later Small Portion Grown Back?

29 yo. Annoying mole 3 inches down from my arm pit approx 1-2mm. It sat exactly at my bra strap so it was irritated. Dr. Shaved it off two months ago, came back normal/benign. Yesterday I noticed it's growing back a little. The scar is a perfect circle and almost a perfect line of dark brown pigment runs through it (like original color). Since it is flat, its no longer irritated by my bra. Is it safe to leave it? Should I get it checked for melanoma again? Little nervous but hopeful it's normal

Mole regrowing after a shave biopsy

+1

A shave biopsy is usually the best way to go to have a mole removed and checked for cancer, especially one that is growing in that location. It typically leaves a minimal scar which sometimes will have a central area of hyperpigmentation. The mole will rarely regrow and the appearance with the central dark spot should not be objectionable. This is because the mole is actually "shaved off" at a level just below the surface of the skin. Since the biopsy results showed it to be benign, further treatment is not necessary.

You can follow the video link below to learn more about identifying the changes in moles that are suspicious for skin cancer.

South Burlington Dermatologic Surgeon

It is safe

+1

When a shave biopsy is performed, the "roots" of the mole can be left behind, and this can cause re-pigmentation within the scar.  As long as the pathology revealed a benign growth the first time, it is unnecessary to re-biopsy it. 

Hallie McDonald, MD
Austin Dermatologist

Mole Removal best method

+1

The best way to remove moles is through excision with lasers being considered as another option. Shaving always allows the moles to come back.

Philip Young, MD
Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon