Can a Dermatologist Do Anything About a Small Flat Scar?

I recently accidently shaved a small mole off that was above my upper lip. I was hoping it would just heal and the mole would come back the same but, that didn't happen and now am left with a small reddish indent scar that bothers me when looking at it. I wanted to know if there was anything a dermatologist could do to help make it look better or if it isn't worth the time. I don't want to waste the dermatologist's time and almost feel like that's what id be doing. Although it is small, it bothers me.

Shave indentation scar on the upper lip is red and hypopigmented

You really have two issues: namely the indentation and the potential redness/hypopigmentation.  The indentation may improve slightly, however, this scar may require fractional co2 laser and/or excision, both of which I perform as outpatient procedures in my office. 

Indentation

It is possible the indentation will disappear with time. Most people do not not realize that it takes almost a year for a scar to totally heal. If the indentation does not disappear with time, an injection of a filler might improve the appearance.

Vicki J. Levine, MD