Is a dermatologist all right for a liposuction procedure?

I would like to diminish my love handles & would prefer to not use general anesthesia. I have found a doctor who does tumescent using a local. I plan on also consulting with a doctor who is a board certified plastic surgeon but in speaking with her co-ordinator, she only uses general anesthesia. What questions should I ask the dermatologist or should I try to stay only with a plastic surgeon? His office told me he has done numerous liposuctions and uses the laser type.

Should I use a plastic surgeon or a dermatologic surgeon for liposuction.

+2
Most plastic surgeons have undergone a minimum of five years of training following medical school the surgical field. This involves handling difficult wounds in all areas of the body. I believe it is important to choose a surgeon who is experienced in the procedure you are interested in. I also believe he should be trained to handle any potential complications which can arise from your procedure and not have to refer you to another physician

Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

Is a dermatologist alright for a liposuction procedure?

+2
Plastic surgery programs spend at least 3 years training on various cosmetic procedures.  I probably performed a hundred or more liposuction procedures during those three years.  Then I did an additional focused fellowship where I did many more.  Now I perform hundreds and hundreds of liposuction procedures each year and liposuction thousands of areas.  If the doctor has credentials, training, and experience then I would feel comfortable.

Find a plastic surgeon who performs hundreds of liposuction procedures each year, has great reviews, and has great before and after pictures.

Both Board Certified Derm Surgeons and Plastic Surgeons can do good liposuctions.

+2
Liposuctions are so dependant  upon getting the right doctor with the best experience and technique. Typically that is going to be the derm surgeons who invented tumescent liposuction under local with the smaller cannulas. Having said that, both board certified derm surgeons and board certified plastic surgeons can do great liposuctions. Being awake and comfortable is so important since the doc can stand you up and fine tune the results to make sure each side is symmetrical and smooth. This gives the very best results especially when using the smaller micro cannulas and is the safest. It tends to be alittle more expensive because of the extra time and skill involved but is so worth it. Sincerely,
David Hansen,MD 

David Hansen, MD
Beverly Hills Dermatologic Surgeon

Liposuction

+2
Liposuction can be done by a qualified derm or plastic surgeon. Best to see their results and feel comfortable with the doctor.

Liposuction

+2
Ask the Dermatologist, what was the training in liposuction . Did he/she has training during residency or just went to a weekend course?
Ask if the dermatologist has privileges to do the liposuction in a hospital?  Ask How much xylocain is to be used? and will it reach the toxic dose as defined by the manufacturer? 5-7 Mg. per Kilogram.
Is the facility where the surgery is done is it certified by accrediting organization, which one  look at the certificate.
Ask what procedure they have in case of emergency? which hospital ? Does the doctor has privileges in the hospital to treat you? Who will treat you and the complications?

Derm or plastic for lipo

+2
You should ask either doctor to see before and after photos and to speak to patients who have had similar procedures. I personally prefer to do lipo under general anesthesia so the patient feels nothing during the procedure and I can concentrate on the surgery without worrying that the patient may have pain. With that being said, lipo can be done under local with sedation with good results as long as the surgeon has experience and good judgement.

Paul Wigoda, MD
Fort Lauderdale Plastic Surgeon

+1
IMHO no. The actual procedure to be carried out is not the most challenging or technically difficult procedure to perform. However, it is this simplicity of procedure that often leads to other untoward effects. Remember that all procedures carry with it complications. Is the dermatologist trained to take care of any surgical complication that may arise as a result of liposuction? Who would you think?

A surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery has had a minimum of 6-7 years of residency following their medical school. They then take a written examination to become eligible to take an oral exam. The oral exam cannot take place until such time that the candidate has had two years to accumulate his/her own cases. They then present themselves in front of 6 examiners who will then ask questions based on their own cases. If they are successful in passing this oral exam, they are then certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.

I would caution you. Tread lightly and research, research and research some more.

Jose Perez-Gurri, MD

Seek a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon

+1
Ask specifically what they are board certified in.  Plastic surgery? Dermatology? Ask to see a LOT of before and after photos and make certain they are all patients of your doctor.  Ask to speak with SEVERAL patients who had the same procedure done recently.

M. Dean Vistnes, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon