Dermatofibroma Removal from Breast

I have a dermatofibroma on my breast,First I went to a doctor who refferred me to a general surgeon. The surgeon treated the bumb as a cyst and removed it in his office. After sugery I found out it was a deep dermatofibroma. The bumb came back because the surgeon said he didnt treat it properly. I went to a plastic surgeon recently to schedule surgical removal again. He consulted w a dermatologist who said to leave it alone, it is on my breast, what is recuurence rate when treated correctly?

Dermatofibroma

+1

Dermatofibroma is a common slightly raised, pink or light to dark brown, firm to hard benign skin nodule of unknown cause that occurs most often in the legs of women. It is usually not associated with any symptoms or complaints other than being visible. Itching, tenderness and pain are not uncommon. Removal of the tumor is not necessary unless diagnostic uncertainty exists or particularly troubling symptoms are present. . They usually persist for life, remain static for decades and may heal as depressed scars after several years. Occasionally, dermatofibromas found in large numbers in grouped or linear clusters are seen in association with immune disturbances, such as leukemia, HIV, and lupus. Single dermatofibromas are believed to be due to trauma while multiple nodules are thought to be due to immunosupression or autoimmune disease. Dermatofibromas in the lower legs of women are thought to be caused by shaving or insect bites.

For cosmetically unacceptable lesions or lesions that are particularly symptomatic, or if any diagnostic uncertainty exists, complete excision is the ideal procedure. Due to the high incidence of recurrence, the use of topical steroids or steroid injections into the lesion after excision is often necessary Superficially shaving the lesion or cryosurgery can be attempted to decrease the size of the nodule however, recurrences are more likely.
I have removed a number of dermatofibromas and have not seen a deep component. Luckily to my knowledge none of these have recurred. Dermatofibrosarcoma protuberans is a completely different entity with a deep component. I would recommend that you have the pathology reviewed to make sure that this is not what you really have.