Dermal Fillers 20 Years Ago and Would Like to Do It Again For Sunken Cheeks?

I got silicone cheekbone implants 20 years ago. Now I would like to get fillers around that area to add volume to my sunken cheeks. I was advised I must get an MRI scan first to establish exactly where the implants were before I could get the injections. Is this necessary? Thank you for your help.

Dermal Fillers For Sunken Cheeks

+1

Unless the physician you went to is specifically concerned about something in particular, there would be no reason that I see to obtain an MRI or any other scan for the matter you're explaining. Regarding fillers, there are many that are available such as Restylane, Juvederm, Radiesse, Sculptra and fat. The one best for you depends on the comfort of the physician and your goals.  A consultation with a facial plastic surgeon, plastic surgeon, or dermatologist can be very helpful in choosing which one would be best for you.

Hello

+1
An MRI is not necessary To get fillers injected into your cheeks. The best filler to be injected for volume would be Sculptra. It repairs your own collagen and it blumps you back up, you should do some homework on the product.

Stuart B. Kincaid, MD, FACS

+1

IMHO, the MRI is not required as the filler is placed within the fatty tissues, of the cheek, well above the level the implant rests on top of the cheekbone.  I have done this many times and prfer using perlane to shape the cheeks.  Be certain that the MD you select understands and follows the proper aesthetics of facial (and cheek) beauty for the creation of a naturally, more attractive face.  Hope this helps.

Dermal Fillers 20 Years after Cheek Implants

+1

I see no reason for an MRI before dermal fillers just because you had cheek implants placed 20 years ago. Consider fat augmentation of your cheeks which will last a lot longer than fillers such as Juvederm or Radiesse.

Injectable Fillers Over Cheek Implants

+1

I see no reason why you would need an MRI before getting fillers above your cheek implants. Your cheek implants are undoubtably down at the bone level and have a dense capsule around them. Injectable fillers are perfectly safe to be put under the skin over the cheek area.

Barry L. Eppley, MD, DMD

Fillers afte cheek lmplants.

+1

The is no need to have scans before you get fillers. The surgeon should know how to do this. 

Injectable fillers following cheek implants

+1

Unless there is an issue with your present cheek implants, such as implant malposition or impending extrusion, it is possble to have injectable fillers without an MRI scan. 

Vincent D. Lepore, MD
San Jose Plastic Surgeon

Adding fillers to cheek implants

+1

There should be no absolute need to have scans of the cheeks in order to have a trial of HA fillers. 

Sheldon S. Kabaker, MD
Oakland Facial Plastic Surgeon