Are Dermal Fillers Suitable to Fill Dents After Rhinoplasty Surgery?

I have had 2 rhinoplasty procedures and 2 revision procedures over the last 7 years. I have been left with a reasonable result. I have one noticeable hollow on one side of my nose which is mostly the result of a lump (which I think is cartliage) which my surgeon said was not easily removed and did not recomend trying to remove it. Instead he suggested i get a filler. which one? I have read so many differing reports about the use of fillers that I am confused. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Fillers after rhinoplasty surgery for minor depressions

+1
Soft tissue fillers can be used in certain situations to correct deformities of the nose. One of the more common uses is to fill in minor depressions following rhinoplasty surgery. There are some deformities of the nose that cannot be corrected or improved by soft tissue fillers. Careful analysis and evaluation of the deformity requiring correction is key. If the problem is that an area is too small, then fillers can be used to add volume and improve the overall appearance. However, if an area is too large or prominent, then addition of fillers around the area to attempt to mask the prominent area will create a nose that is disproportionately large. It this case, rhinoplasty for reduction of the area is more appropriate.

However, there are several important considerations when using soft tissue fillers in the nose to improve safety and prevent both short and long term complications. Use temporary fillers NOT permanent (Silicone, Artecol, Artefill). All synthetic, permanent fillers are fraught with disastrous complications including chronic granulomas and infections that cannot be corrected and cause awful deformities. Use gel fillers NOT particulate (Radiesse, Sculptra). The amount of filler injected at one time must not be excessive as this can cause problems with not only the appearance but also the blood supply. Hyaluronic acid fillers are ideal for injection into the nose as they are temporary (usually last for over 1 year) and gel. Additionally, if too much filler is injected or there are problems with blood flow to the nose, an enzyme (hyaluronidase) can be injected to dissolve the product and reduce the risk of skin loss and scarring. Both Juvederm and Restylane are commonly used hyaluronic acid fillers.

You should discuss all of your options with your surgeon to decide what best for future treatments.

A Non-Surgical Rhinoplasty procedure may be the best way to fill dents after multiple Rhinoplasty Surgeries.

+1

Correction of many nasal irregularities after Rhinoplasty Surgery may be accomplished with a well-performed Injectable Filler treatment. My personal preference of fillers is Silikon-1000 for permanent results. Make sure your physician is skilled in the art of using fillers in your nose.

I hope this is helpful for you.

Eric M. Joseph, MD
West Orange Facial Plastic Surgeon

Dermal fillers can be used to fill dents after rhinoplasty procedures

+1

Dermal fillers can be used to fill dents after rhinoplasty procedures. Products like Juvederm, Restylane, or even Radiesse can be used. It all depends on how much volume you need and whether you want something that is reversible. What’s nice about using something like Juvederm is you can get an idea of the shape of the nose to make sure the patient is happy with the result first.

Radiesse is a thicker material. It is very difficult (if not impossible) to remove Radiesse and it can take many years for it to completely resolve where as Juvederm can last a year or more, but is reversible. Therefore, if the dent is more of a defect after the surgery, sometimes using Juvederm is a safer way to go. However, if it’s a small dent that is straight forward in terms of what you want to correct, Radiesse can be a great option and the correction will last longer.

Joseph A. Eviatar, MD, FACS
New York Oculoplastic Surgeon