Not a Candidate for Dermal Fillers if Have Hypertrophic Scarring?

I have been thinking about having Juvederm or restylane injected into my nasolabial folds, but have read for both products that you should not use either of these fillers if you have hypertrophic scarring, what are the risks associated with juvederm or restylane and hypertrophic scarring, Am I not a candidate for these fillers since I do have some hypertrophic scarring on my abdomen? thank you

Fillers and hypertrophic scarring

If the filler used is injected in the right level of the skin or under the skin there should be no scarring and There is no relationship between hypertrophic scars and fillers

10 East 31 Street
Baltimore, MD 21218

Hypertrophic scarring and fillers

I also agree with what has been posted here. I have not seen any relation with hypertropic scaring and filler in my experience. Always make sure you go to a reputable physician.

Gustavo A. Diaz, MD
Charlotte Facial Plastic Surgeon

13620 Reese Blvd.
Huntersville, NC 28078

Hyaluronic Fillers and Poor Scarring

Allow me to join my Dermatology colleagues in stating that I have experienced nor heard of hypertrophic scarring related to the proper use of either Juvederm or Restylane.

6401 Poplar Avenue
Memphis, TN 38119

Hypertrophic scarring and fillers

I have never heard of hypertrophic scarring while getting facial fillers. although I am sure someone somewhere has had this problem. If so, it is extremely, extremely rare. You can probably test it out in an inconspicuous spot at first.

1049 Fifth Ave
New York, NY 10028

Fillers have been used in patients with hypertrophic scarring elsewhere

I am not aware of reports of hypertrophic scarring, even in an individual with such history, to occur after injections of fillers such as Restylane or Juvederm. Mention it to your doctor who will do the injecitons to make sure they agree that it's safe to do.

Ronald Shelton, MD
Manhattan Dermatologic Surgeon

317 East 34th St
New York, NY 10016

Keloids don't seem to be a problem with fillers like Restylane and Perlane

If by hypertrophic scarring, you mean keloids, I am not worried about that. We performed the clinical trials on these products in African American patients and had absolutely no problems with keloids. This is a typical problem in this population and one reason the trial was done.

So, I wouldn't worry about this even if you have scarring like that on your abdomen. Good luck!

Joel Schlessinger, MD
Omaha Dermatologic Surgeon

2802 Oak View Drive
Omaha, NE 68144

Hypertrophic scarring with fillers

Hypertrophic scarring in the abdomen or other areas does not presuppose similar scarring in the face . I have long experienc with fillers in African Americans and others with dark pigmentation without problems BUT that does not mean it couldn't happen.

You might try a small test areain front of your ear which could be hidden if it did occur

Barry H. Dolich, MD
Bronx Plastic Surgeon

1200 Waters Pl
Bronx, NY 10461

Hypertrophic scarring and fillers

I have never seen or heard of hypertrophic scarring at the site of Juvederm and Restylane injections in my patients who are prone to hypertrophic scarring or keloids. The warning seems related to the needle-sticks required to administer the filler, rather than the filler material itself. I believe the risk of this occurrence to be extremely low, but theoretically possible. If your injector uses no larger than a 30-gauge needle with good technique, you are unlikely to develop any scarring.

Good luck.

Bryan K. Chen, MD
San Diego Dermatologist

10672 Wexford Street
San Diego, CA 92131

Scarring and injectable fillers

Hypertrophic scarring can be caused by many things including motion along the scar line, tension of closure, disruption or infection of the initial repair etc. A scar can even only have hypertrophy along a portion of its length. I can't see why any of these causes or the presence of the hypertrophic scar should affect your ability to have a filler injection. Are you sure you did not misread the material? Did it say injection directly into the scar or any where else on the body?

Aaron Stone, MD

120 South Spalding
Beverly Hills, CA 90212