Dermal Filler for smoker lines, have had two treatments within 1 week break, and they are still there. Why? (Photo)

I never had Dermal Fillers before, and I am not 40. I do have a lip closure insufficiency that means although of course the smoking didnt help, even when chewing I am using those muscles on the upper lip. So two weeks ago I went to have dermal fillers incjected. The Doctor said they where fine lines so 0.6 ml be enough. I went for a top up as lines still apparent. Total 1.3 ml and this is now a week after second treatment. He injected in lip line, smoker line and left nasoliabial fold.

Fillers for lines around lips

+1
Fillers can be very effective to help reduce the appearance of fine lines around the lips.  However, oftentimes there is a need for additional treatment modalities to get the best result from the combination of the two procedures.  You may be a very good candidate for laser resurfacing to address the stubborn lines.

New Orleans Facial Plastic Surgeon

Dermal Fillers for Smoker's Lines

+1
Hi Squizzy.  Unfortunately dermal fillers don't always camouflage the lines completely.  They can make them less noticeable, but depending on the severity of the lines, the fillers may not be able to hide them completely.

If you are looking for an alternative, consider a DEEP fractional resurfacing.  When we are working on lines like these, we are often in the 800-1000 micron depth (1 mm) and have to use dental blocks and direct injection of lidocaine for the patient to be able to tolerate it.  There is also about a week of recovery time.  If the recovery time does not bother you then you may want to take a different direction on improving the lines and consider laser resurfacing.

Harold J. Kaplan, MD

Smokers Lines

+1
Squizzy,

I agree with what Dr. Weiss and Dr. Kaplan have recommended. For some reason, still not well-known to us, this type of wrinkling is very resistant to treatment. Therefore, I usually recommended filler + fractional laser resurfacing (sometimes more than 1 session of each) to target them aggressively. Although I know it may not be the answer you were looking for, there are still options to get you to your goal. All the best.