Can Dermal Filler Encapsulate?

The filler often feels like it is encapsulated , hard and sore almost like a capsule under the skin . This will happen at anytime , after sleeping , after exercise and for no reason at all . Massaging is difficult , it is painfull and the lump is too hard to massage out . I have had SubQ and Restylane . My injector usually gives me a concentrated dose of anti biotics and antihistames but i still have these problems . I do have Rheumatoid Arthritis but i am in remission .

Can a Dermal filler encapsulate?

+1

Restylane does not usually encapsulate and does not cause pain and it is probably safe, but some kind of a reaction must have taken place.

A small (3mm) punch biopsy of the nodule would leave almost no trace and would be very helpful in understanding what happened in the tender nodule.

Nodules are  more  common with Sculptra  Injections (Polylactic acid), although for the past few years, with increased dilution, the nodules are quite rare even with Sculptra (not that I recommend Sculptra injections in your case.)

If the biopsy shows nothing special, the nodule could be injected with Hyaluronidase.

In the future, please consult with your Rhumatologist before any filler treatments.

Eugene Mandrea M D

Chicago Dermatologist

Can Dermal Filler Encapsulate?

+1

Restylane isn't approved in the United States but fillers do not typically encapsulate. Advise your medical provider, he/she can inject an enzyme called hyaluronidase to dissolve this product. 

Restylane SubQ

+1

Restylane SubQ is not approved for us in the U.S. at this time. It is an hyaluronic acid filler though, so if you are having issues it can be dissolved. Fillers do not encapsulate, though you can get some scar tissue in an injected area which can feel hard. Both scar tissue and the filler will go away, or you can have the filler dissolved with hyaluronidase.

"This answer has been solicited without seeing this patient and cannot be held as true medical advice, but only opinion. Seek in-person treatment with a trained medical professional for appropriate care."

F. Victor Rueckl, MD

Dermal filler

+1

We have not heard of a dermal filler encapsulation. However if it is Restylane the filler that you had injected and you want it to be removed an injection of Wydase can be used.

You need to make sure it was Restylane the filler used.

Jhonny Salomon, MD