Dermal Filler and Tetracycline?

I would like to have some lip filler (juvederm) and cheek filler.I am currently taking Tetracycline antibiotic and a Duac cream for acne, should I discountinue use before the filler?

Dermal Filler and Tetracycline?

+1

There are no problems treating patients on Tetracycline with dermal fillers. It is completely safe.

Dr. Lori Stetler

Dallas Dermatologic Surgeon

Juvederm and acne treatment

+1

There is no interaction between Juvederm and the medications you are taking for acne.  Just let your physician know you are on the medication.

Martie Gidon, MD, FRCPC
Toronto Dermatologist

Dermal filler and tetracycline?

+1

Tetracycline and Duac cream will not interfere with you having treatment with facial filler. I would recommend communicating with your physician regarding any medications you are taking. I hope this helps, and I wish you the best of luck.  

Paul S. Nassif, MD

Dermal Filler and Tetracycline?

+1

There is no reason to discontinue this therapy before having filler.

I have hundreds of patients who are on this type of regimen who receive fillers.

Dr. Malouf

Peter Malouf, DO
Dallas Dermatologist

Fillers and antibiotics

+1

Filler injection can be performed while taking many medications. However, if you are fighting an infection you may want to wait until the infection has resolved.

Juvederm Filler

+1

You should stop agents such as aspirin, Motrin, Aleve unless you have a medical problem that demands it. Similarly some of the herbal supplements such as Gingko Biloba, Omega 3 fatty acids, garlic, and feverfew should be discontinued a week prior to treatment.

However, Tetracycline and Duac would not be on this list. They do not influence clotting and should not be a problem.

Arnold R. Oppenheim, MD
Virginia Beach Dermatologist

Getting filler done when sick is not a good idea

+1

Fillers such as Restylane, Juvederm, Radiesse, and Perlane are foreign bodies place into the lower skin.  If there is an infection in the body, it might get trapped in the filler and cause a localized infection.  So if you are on an antibiotic and fairly sick, you should not get injected with filler.  Also, having extensive dental work after filler should be held off as long as possible because there is bacteria in blood stream with the dental work.  There are many reports of filler getting infected from a dental infection as well.  If you are on a chronic antibiotic for acne, there is no problem getting injected while you are on it.

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Antibiotics for acne and Juvederm

+1

you do not have to stop the topical cremes or oral tetracycline for Juvederm injection. However, the provider will, of course, not inject in the face where there are cystic, infected acneic lesions (common sense).

Hratch Karamanoukian, MD, FACS
Buffalo General Surgeon

Juvederm and Tetracylcine

+1

You do not need to discontinue taking tetracycline or your acne cream when you are treated with Juvederm to your lips and cheeks.  

Michael I. Echavez, MD
San Francisco Facial Plastic Surgeon