Dermabrasion

I am a 30 y old woman with a lot of small scars and some bigger. I have been trying to find so eine who perform dermabrasion, as I have already have tried laser. Laser is provably not going deep enough and I can only see that my skin has got a orange peel texture after tha laser. It seems like dermabrasion is not something than a plastic surgeon/ dermatolog will do for me. Is it a to risky procedure? My scars is not only from acne, some is even form the laser I thougth was gonna help me.

Dermabrasion

+1
Dear Una78,

Dermabrasion is a procedure that should be performed by a physician (i.e., facial plastic surgeon). It is an excellent method to help with scars and lines on your face. It is, however, not for every skin type. Patients with dark skin complexion are not good candidates. There is a recovery period (3-5 days) before you can apply make-up. It is not a painful procedure.

Virginia Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Dermabrasion

+1
Hello Una78, 

Thank you for your question.  I am sorry you are going through this. 

Without examining you, physically feeling the tissue, assessing your desired outcome, taking a full medical history, and discussing the pros and cons of any treatments it is difficult to be comprehensive.

I can give you some general information on dermabrasion since there are no photos. 

Dermabrasion can be beneficial for helping camouflaging scars by taking of the layers of skin down to the base of the scar and allowing it to heal over once again.  There are risks associated with dermabrasion including scarring.  

If you already have scarring with the laser treatments there is a real risk of damaging that tissue further with dermabrasion.

I would recommend seeking care from a board certified facial plastic surgeon in your area.

Hope this helps.

Dr. Shadfar

Scott Shadfar, MD
Indianapolis Facial Plastic Surgeon