Would Derma-roller Improve my Acne Scars? (photo)

Hi. I'm suffering from old and somewhat deep acne scars which are 10 years old. I've used many chemicals, peeling techniques, etc but haven't seen significant improvements. However, I had 2 sessions of CO2 laser 3 years ago that improved my scars 30-40% as it was worse before. I can't go through anymore CO2 as it's extremely painful. I'd like to know if home use of derma-roller would improve my scars at this stage, and if yes, what size (and maybe brand) should I pick? Thank you in advance :)

Dermaroller for ice pick and rolling scars

+1

The derma roller could help but has not been established as something that most doctors do. Equivalent to this is the deep fx piece with the lumenis laser. You should consider a multi layered approach. I would first treat your ice pick scars and get them to raise up then consider a more extensive global treatment of the face.

Bellevue Facial Plastic Surgeon

Acne Scar Treatment

+1

There are many different treatment options for shallow acne scars. Here are a few of the most common, which would be good options for shallow acne scars.

• Dermabrasion - not to be confused with microdermabrasion. With this procedure one uses sandpaper or a drill to sand the skin down. This is a very effective treatment that takes about 5-7 days to heal and then remains pink for several weeks.
  • Medium-depth chemical peel (TCA) - A tri-chloroacetic acid peel is often effective for this type of scarring and is not terribly expensive. The skin peels for several days to one week  and then turns pink or white for several weeks.
  • Laser Resurfacing  - The CO2 is the most effective for acne scars, but the Erbium can be effective, although usually less so. The newer fractionated technology is useful as healing time is shortened to 5-7 days for most, although a second or third procedure may be needed.
Miami Dermatologic Surgeon