Zigzag Lines After Dermal Graft Removal

I had a sebaceous cyst in my dermal graft placed over my bridge in a revision rhinoplasty operation. I had a red mark on my nose prior to the cyst, which I was told wouldn't go away unless I had laser. Because of the sebaceous cyst, the surgeon decided it was best to remove the derma graft. I removed the tape last night, and was ready to see a dent where the graft was, but saw indented zig zag-shaped lines instead.

Will these flatten out or can I expect to live with them? The redness is still there, but the surgeon feels it was related to the graft, and will dissipate over time. Is this true? I have lost faith in my surgeon, and was hoping some information provided to me may help ease my concern.

Healing process takes a long period of time

+1

It is a good thing to have a dermal graft removed because of formation of a sebaceous cyst. Zigzag lines could be related to the surgery, but the healing process needs to take a long period of time to dissipate the edema and swelling.

Swelling is difficult to judge early on

+1

Swelling is difficult to judge early on! Especially on the nose, a little swelling can distort things considerably in the first few months after surgery. Sit tight and relax. Time does heal these wounds!

Robert M. Freund, MD

Best to wait for swelling and appearance to resolve

+1

This swelling and abnormal appearance will probably go away and it is too soon to say. Often this will change over the next 3 months. If it is not improving, you should seek a second opinion.