Is It Normal To Be Suffering From Depression 3 Months Post Tummy Tuck?

I'm 3 months post tummy tuck, I still swell from time to time depending on my activiity, I was doing fine when I saw my surgeon regularly but now that my visits are further apart I feel depressed most of the time, it feels like I need her reassurance that I am doing ok and on track. I won't see her again until november. I feel like I am losing my mind at times, I'm scared I am going to go back to how I was before surgery. I don't want to keep bothering her

Depression Post-Tummy Tuck

+1

First and foremost, you are never bothering your surgeon if you have legitimate concerns. Secondly, it is normal to experience depression after major surgery even though you may feel that you have healed after 4 months. Full recovery can sometimes take longer and intermittent swelling this far out from surgery is normal. It is okay to need reassurance.

Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Depression and cosmetic surgery.

+1

Bouts of depression are not uncommon following plastic surgery. Many procedures have a profound effect on how a person looks and how they perceive themselves. This adjustment is normal in most cases. Many patients find that even a short round of counseling or discussions with a psychiatrist can help get them through this period, even without medication. Discussing your depression with both your surgeon and your primary care doctor are very important steps.

David Bogue, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Depression post tummy

+1

This is unusual.I think you may need to see your doctor more often to give you that reassurance you need and I am sure your doctor would be more than happy to accomadate.

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Depression after tummy tuck

+1
Do you have a reason to be depressed? Are you disappointed with your result or progress? If so, speak with your surgeon; it is never a bother for most surgeons to offer the peri-operative support necessary during recovery. I tell patients they are not embarking on a procedure, but a process. The process includes your procedure plus the recovery and duration of healing. Look at your "before" photos. Most patients forget how they were before, but if you are reminded with a photo why you had the tummy tuck, you may feel better.

Steve Laverson, MD

Depression after a tummy tuck

+1

What you are describing is not necessarily rare - women do experience depression at times after surgical procedures. However, if you have had this issue in the past and unrelated to surgery, you may want to consider discussing this with your primary care doctor.

With regard to your plastic surgeon, you should contact her office and just even talk with her nurse, sharing your concerns, fears and anxieties. This may resolve your issues. Of course, you can also schedule an appointment either with your plastic surgeon or her nurse

Steven Turkeltaub, MD

Post tummy tuck depression

+1

It is not uncommon to experience what you are experiencing at this time in your recovery. Severe emotional “ups and downs” are common after the major surgery that you have undergone.  Requiring reassurance (that what you are experiencing is normal) is also common and to be expected. I would suggest closer follow-up with your surgeon–call and request earlier follow up (this should not be a “bother”).

Hopefully, after follow-up with your surgeon you will find that the depression will improve. Usually this occurs as patients become more active and return to their previous activities/lifestyle.

If this depression continues you may want to discuss your concerns with your plastic surgeon and consider counseling/professional psychiatric evaluation.

Keep in mind that the worst  part of the recovery is over!