Depression in the Cheeks?

i have a problem with depressions in the cheeks. Several doctors have suggested fat grafting. How long does this last? This means lipo from some other part of the body? I've had Radiesse in those areas and although I am told that it should last 1 year, I find that it begins to look hollow again after 1 week. I don't have the resources to have injections on a weekly or monthly basis. Is fat grafting a longer lasting procedure? Any other suggestions?

Fat transfer option for Cheek enhancement

+1

Fat transfer is a good option to consider for cheek enhancement or augmentation. Fat is obtained from around the abdomen or hip area with gentle liposuction. Benefit of fat over fillers such as Radiesse, Juverm, or Restylane is that it has potential for much longer lasting or even permanent results. Fat injections, however, may need to be repeated, since some fat does not survive transfer. Recovery with swelling and bruising is also much longer with fat injection, as compared to office injections of Radiesse.

Another option to consider is a silicone cheek implant, which can provide permanent results. Only after a comprehensive evaluation with a plastic surgeon can he/she help determine appropriate options for you. Best of luck.

Dr. Chaboki

Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon

Fat Grafting For Cheek Hollows

+1
Patients with focused volume loss such as the cheeks benefit significantly from volume restoration with either fat or fillers.  Fillers work very well with a short recovery, but as you have discovered require a significant volume for good correction and are costly.  Fat transfer is a safe, effective and viable alternative.  Your fat can be harvested and transferred for long lasting results. The only downside is that there is significant swelling postop, so your recovery will be longer.  Fat is definately a more cost effective solition.  All the best.

George Bitar, MD
Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

Cosmetic Surgery is an Art and a Science

+1

Without a photo and exam, it is hard to answer your question.Cheek depressions can reliably be fat filled. Contact a board certified plastic surgeon in your area for an exam.

Thomas A. Narsete, MD
Greenwood Village Plastic Surgeon

Fat grafting to Cheeks

+1

If you are looking for more volume to the cheeks than fillers can reasonably provide, then fat grafting may be appropriate.  Fat grafting can be more economical in the long run.  Fat grafting survival on the face is probably around 60% to 90% depending upon the person reporting.  This change is a permanent fill.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Fat Graft to the face

+1

fat graft to the face remains the only long term filler. Though some of the fat will absorb, about 60-80% of the fat will stay for long time. It is technique dependant and experience dependant.

Talk to your plastic surgeon and look at results. discuss need for second time fat transfer and expenses.