Depression on Hip Area After Liposculpture?

I am 12 weeks after the procedure and now I'm concerned about the two "holes" or depressions on my pelvic-upper hip area. Is that normal? What can I do? Did the surgeon suctioned in more fat from that area?

Depression After Liposuction

+1
It may be a bit early to tell how you will look overall only after 12 weeks.  However, depressions after liposuction may be due to over suction. Once the swelling has subsided, you may want to meet with your surgeon to discuss fat grafting in order to improve these depressions if they have not subsided. 

"Holes" or depressions after liposculpture can be treated.

+1

There are several causes of depressions after liposculpture including scars, irregular loss of fat, and cellulite. These can be treated by a variety of methods depending on the cause. These include saline injections, subcision, fat transfer, lipo-shifting, and fractional laser resurfacing.

Edward Lack, MD
Chicago Dermatologist

Depressions at the hip after liposuction

+1

Without an examination it is difficult to say whether or not you ahve depressionsl. You are also still in the healing phase and the other areas may be swollen.  Speak to your surgeon.

Depression in the hip area after liposculpture

+1

Liposculpture works on the deep layers of fat, deep to the skin. If the process is done unevenly, you may experience some bumps and asymmetry. If the scarring from the liposuction incision is tethered to the deep tissues below, you may see depression at the site also. Keep in mind however that at this stage of the process you are still with a significant swelling after your procedure. Your best bet is to continue to wear the garment at all times and to wait for your swelling to subside. Once the swelling results, you may not have this depressed area as all the areas around the depression may go down along with the swelling. Wait approximately 6 to 8 months after surgery to evaluate your final result.

Pat Pazmino, MD

Skin depressions after lipo

+1

You should go to someone who has a great deal of experience with fat transfer or "lipo shifting" It may require several treatments (although short) to get adequate correction.

Dr. Malouf

Peter Malouf, DO
Dallas Dermatologist

Skin depressions called contour deformities occur in about 2 % of standard liposuction cases

+1

The depression in the skin that you mention at 12 weeks after liposuction or liposculpture is a known side effect .

In my experience, these deformities often are not seen until later--often at 6 months. The fact that you see them in 3 months may mean that they will not go away.

Massage of the areas is important to remove post operative fluid from the surroinding higher areas.

I would do nothing for a year. If after a yera they are still there, fat injection can be done.

I have also had good results using laser assisted liposcution to focally remove fat from the high areas around the depression to help smooth out the skin appearance.

Brooke R. Seckel, MD, FACS

Early irregularities after lipsuction

+1

It is common to have slight irregularities after performing liposuction. It is quite likely that this will resolve with time. I would continue to wait until 4-6 months. If the depressions persist, I would contemplate lipoinjection.

Post-operative depressions after liposuction can be treated with fat injections

+1

12 weeks may be too early to tell how the overall area will eventually look.  However, depressions after liposuction may be due to over suction. Once the swelling has subsided, you may consider fat grafting to correct this deformity. More than one session may be required to get optimal results.

Reza Nabavian, MD
Santa Monica Plastic Surgeon