Depressed Scar Formed from Early Usage of Silicone Gel Sheets?

Dear doctors, I've recently undergone liposuction and had stitches removed last week. A scab formed after the removal. I was too rushed and applied the silicone gel sheet onto the scar (it's on my back near my spine) just 3 days afterwards. Just after the first day of applying it, I discovered the gel sheet has melted and "sucked away" the scab (the sheet turned slightly brownish in the middle), leaving a dent of around 5mm in diameter... I'm applying Mederma on it now instead. Help! Thanks!

+1

Silicone gel sheets are typically used to help flatten and ameliorate scars that are in their early healing period...but not that early.  And I doubt that the sheets are responsible for a depressed scar.  You may not even wind up with a depressed scar, despite its early experience.  I would suggest that you see a surgeon in person to have this assessed before proceeding with any treatments on your own.

Dr. E

Scars and Silicone gel sheets

+1

Silicone gel sheets are good for scars after the surface has completely healed and there are no more scabs. it helps to reduce the redness of the scars and prevents them from becoming raised. if your wound was not completely healed before you started using the sheets I would recommend you seek medical attention and make sure you have good wound care.

Misbah Khan, MD

Liposuction Scars Need to Heal Before Scar Therapy

+1

The scars after liposuction need to close and be healed before applying scar therapy.  Please see your plastic surgeon about advice for your particular case.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

+1

This a bit complicated to advise on over the internet without a photo. Your surgeon, who knows you, knows what was done, and has followed your progress is the best source for recommendations. 

If your incisions are not completely closed and non-draining, stop the Mederma until wounds are healed!

All the best.