6 Weeks Post-Op Rhinoplasty, Will Swelling Continue to Decrease or Is This My Final Result?

Hi its been 40 days since Ive done with my open rhinoplasty but Im so depressed now cuz my nose is still looks big and puffy and its base looks wide I heard that it may take some time to the final result to be shown so, will my nose look any different after some weeks or month? Will it get any smaller? P.S :the surgeon has shown me a big bon and small pieces of cartillage that have been cut from my nose in the surgery , thats why i thought it would be way smaller than before

Final rhinoplasty result at 6 weeks?

+2

I would expect your nose to have quite a bit of swelling still at only 6 weeks after surgery. Depending on the approach and what was done the swelling can last many months, often up to a year.

The majority of the swelling improves over the first few months of surgery, but the remainder does take a while to completely go away. You should discuss your concerns with your surgeon as that's who can examine your nose and has the best idea of what was done.

Swelling 6 weeks post rhinoplasty is expected

+1

Do not worry or obcess about this, as it is normal. You will only make yourself more depressed to no benefit. Rhinoplasty healing is a slow process taking about 1 year. Occasionally dilute steroid injections help supratip swelling in thicker skinned individuals, but are not used universally post rhinoplasty.

Harrison C. Putman III, MD
Peoria Facial Plastic Surgeon

Swellling

+1

Rhinoplasty healing is steady but, very slow. You need to be patient. Any revision procedures need at least one year of healing time/

David A. Bray, Sr., MD

Result 6 Weeks after Rhinoplasty

+1

You have normal, temporary swelling 6 weeks after rhinoplasty. It will take 6-12 months for you to see the final result. Your surgeon, who obviously knows exact what was done, is the best person to answer your question.

Swelling after rhinoplasty

+1

You are still very early. This will look very different  in six months and continue to refine up to a year. It's hard but be patient.

Michael L. Schwartz, MD
West Palm Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Concerns about the appearance of the nose only 6 weeks post open rhinoplasty

+1

Six weeks following an open rhinoplasty is still very early in the healing process. It can take 6 months for a majority of the swelling to subside but up to a year, especially for the tip, to see what the more "final" result would be. Be patient.

Steven Turkeltaub, MD

Swelling after rhinoplasty

+1

i tell patients to resist the urge to pass any judgement on the quality of a rhinoplasty result until the three month mark.  "final" results are seen at one year.  i placed final in quotations marks as rhinoplasties have the potential to change for several years after the procedure depending on the technique.  some of the grafts used are desinged so help control and limit the changes that can occur in the long term.

Adam Bryce Weinfeld, MD
San Angelo Plastic Surgeon

6 weeks post rhinoplasty and still swollen

+1

it is totally normal for the nose to still be swollen after only 6 weeks, especially with an open technique. Hang in there, it will continue to improve. stay in contact with your plastic surgeon so they can see anything scar tissue wise if it develops and treat it.

Rick Rosen, MD
Norwalk Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty swelling at 6 weeks

+1

Swelling can take a full year to resolve completely. Most improvement occurs in the first 2 months but there will be slow gradual improvement for 6 months to one year. Discuss your concerns with your surgeon as well.

Richard Dale Reynolds, MD
El Paso Plastic Surgeon