UPPER LIP SCAR REVISION: WHAT CAN BE DONE? My upper lip scarred after a burn. Cortisone shots did not improve the scar. (photos)

I went to a plastic surgeon for a consultation. The biggest part of the ( burn) scar is approximately in the middle of my upper lip. The rest of the scar is along the vermillion. The surgeon's plan of action is to excise all the area #1 marked in light blue and all area #2 marked in dark blue. Area 1 will close horizontally. Area 2 will close vertically. I am afraid of uneven healing, and worsening it! My question: What can be done to improve the look of my upper lip, and not destroy it?

UPPER LIP SCAR REVISION: WHAT CAN BE DONE? My upper lip scarred after a burn. Cortisone shots did not improve the scar.

+2
It's hard to second guess the plan of someone who has had the opportunity to see your lips and evaluate them in person. There are alot of options for lip scars such as yours. These can range from permanent makeup (tattoo), fillers, lasers or surgical scar revision. I don't think that scar revision is a bad idea but the goal needs to be raising the lip line on your right (left side of photo) without further elevating the lip line on the left (right side of photo). This would approximate the lip line that you create with lipstick. I hope this information is helpful for you.

Stephen Weber MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon

Lip Scar Treatment Options

+2
Im not the biggest fan of lip surgery that cut the vermillion boarder, it often leaves a more noticeable scar if there is any complication at all.  I think filler and laser treatments of your lip would be successful.  I'd try those first before considering a lift/augmentation, although the surgical option is not a bad plan.  There are other non-surgical options you just need to see a cosmetic dermatologist or plastic surgeon with experience in treating scars and lips.  I wish you the best of luck, Dr. Emer.

Upper lip scar

+2
Dear Lipservice,
  • Thank you for the illustrations, they are helpful
  • In my honest opionion (without an examination), I would not place an incision along the entire upper lip
  • I would perform microneedling treatments to even out the skin tone and coloring so the scar look less obvious
  • As for the asymmetry, there are 2 options: 1) we can inject a little filler in the right upper lip to raise it to the same level as the left side (my preference), or 2) excise a sliver of red lip from the left side to bring it down to the right side (less predictable and less reversible)
  • Overall, I think the microneedling works very well (like a laser without all the heat damage) and a little filler to get as symmetric as possible

Nima Shemirani

Nima Shemirani, MD