UPPER LIP SCAR REVISION: WHAT CAN BE DONE? My upper lip scarred after a burn. Cortisone shots did not improve the scar. (photos)
Doctor Answers 3
UPPER LIP SCAR REVISION: WHAT CAN BE DONE? My upper lip scarred after a burn. Cortisone shots did not improve the scar.
Stephen Weber MD, FACS
Denver Facial Plastic Surgeon
Have a question? Ask a doctor
Lip Scar Treatment Options
Upper lip scar
- Thank you for the illustrations, they are helpful
- In my honest opionion (without an examination), I would not place an incision along the entire upper lip
- I would perform microneedling treatments to even out the skin tone and coloring so the scar look less obvious
- As for the asymmetry, there are 2 options: 1) we can inject a little filler in the right upper lip to raise it to the same level as the left side (my preference), or 2) excise a sliver of red lip from the left side to bring it down to the right side (less predictable and less reversible)
- Overall, I think the microneedling works very well (like a laser without all the heat damage) and a little filler to get as symmetric as possible
You might also like...
These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.