Hard Hit to the Nose 3 Weeks Post Op from an Extensive Rhinoplasty/septoplasty? (photo)

I am 24 days post op from an extensive rhino/septoplasty (4 hour surgery). Tip was refined, grafts were done and nasal bones were broken. I am still bruised. I've been trying to be extremely careful protecting my nose,but lo and behold, my four year old accidentally & unpredictably hit my nose very hard from below me. He essentially smashed my nose upwards from the tip w/ his shoulder. 6 hrs later it still hurts. What damage could be done & is there anything my dr should/could do immediately?

Trauma to Nose at 24 Days after Rhinoplasty

The picture from 7 days looks OK, but the trauma afterwards will have to be assessed with exam.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Trauma to Nose 3 Weeks After Open Rhinoplasty

Hi Jerema,

Looks like there is nothing to worry about.  It's what you don't see coming that gets you!  Do check in with your rhinoplasty surgeon (who did a great job) to be sure.  Good luck, be well, and enjoy your new nose!

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD
Encino Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty and recent trauma

If the photo you posted is after the trauma, then just looking at this view, it does not look like there is a problem. If you are concerned, an exam in person is best and you should see your surgeon.

Rhinoplasty recovery

Dear Jerema,

• If the bones or cartilage are dislodged, then sometimes they can be reset in the immediate period
  • You should see your plastic surgeon ASAP for an evaluation
  • It usually is inconsequential, but you should see him/her to be sure

Best regards,

Nima Shemirani

Nima Shemirani, MD