Hard Hit to the Nose 3 Weeks Post Op from an Extensive Rhinoplasty/septoplasty? (photo)

I am 24 days post op from an extensive rhino/septoplasty (4 hour surgery). Tip was refined, grafts were done and nasal bones were broken. I am still bruised. I've been trying to be extremely careful protecting my nose,but lo and behold, my four year old accidentally & unpredictably hit my nose very hard from below me. He essentially smashed my nose upwards from the tip w/ his shoulder. 6 hrs later it still hurts. What damage could be done & is there anything my dr should/could do immediately?

Trauma to Nose at 24 Days after Rhinoplasty

+1

The picture from 7 days looks OK, but the trauma afterwards will have to be assessed with exam.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Trauma to Nose 3 Weeks After Open Rhinoplasty

+1

Hi Jerema,

Looks like there is nothing to worry about.  It's what you don't see coming that gets you!  Do check in with your rhinoplasty surgeon (who did a great job) to be sure.  Good luck, be well, and enjoy your new nose!

Dr. P

Michael A. Persky, MD

Rhinoplasty and recent trauma

+1

If the photo you posted is after the trauma, then just looking at this view, it does not look like there is a problem. If you are concerned, an exam in person is best and you should see your surgeon.

Rhinoplasty recovery

+1

Dear Jerema,

• If the bones or cartilage are dislodged, then sometimes they can be reset in the immediate period
  • You should see your plastic surgeon ASAP for an evaluation
  • It usually is inconsequential, but you should see him/her to be sure

Best regards,

Nima Shemirani

Nima Shemirani, MD