Are Deep Scar Removals Covered by Insurance?

want a TT with some lipo. I prefer to stay in a hospital overnight because I worry about complications and also would like better pain control. The Surgeons I see here in Denver I use surgi centers and send the patient home. I also have a serious painful scar from my past 3 csections and it needs to be removed.

Symptomatic scar revisions

+1

can be covered by insurance but depending on your deductible, it may be easier and less costly to simply have you cosmetic tummy tuck that will deal with any scar outside your muscle wall.  And outpatient tummy tucks are now routine so don't worry about that.

Insurance coverage for a C section scar

+1

If your scars are painful and you can document problems then it is possible that a scar revision may be covered but an abdominoplasty would never be mistaken by an insurance company as a treatment for a C section scar.  

+1

Scar revisions for C-sections are probably not covered.  You should consider that a tummy tuck almost always removes this scar during the procedure.  Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of tummy tucks and liposuction procedures each year.  Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.

Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

Are Deep Scar Removals Covered by Insurance

+1

Most of the time scar revisions are not covered, but only an inquiry to your insurer will get you the correct answer for you.  

Most surgeons prefer surgicenters because of cost and convenience. In my community, the operating room fee for a TT can be  well over five times as high, moreso if combined with an overnight stay. Almost all patients do well at home with pain. Your surgeon can discuss either using a pain pump to deliver local anesthetic to the abdomen for three days, or the use of Exparel, an injectable slow release anesthetic that also lasts about three days. 

All the best. 

Insurance and scars

+1

Only insurance companies can answer questions about coverage of different issues.  Generally scar revisions are not covered in today's insurance envoirnments.

Vasdev Rai, MD