Am I a good candidate for abdominoplasty? (photos)

I am 23 years old. I weigh 210 pounds. My height is 4 feet 12 inches. I have had two vaginal births and one c-section. During every pregnancy I gained weight. I started out 160 lbs with first pregnancy and ended weighing 180 lbs. Second pregnancy starting weight 180 lbs and ending weight 190 lbs. Third pregnancy starting weight 190 lbs and ending weight 205 lbs. After my c-section my abdominal muscles never went back to normal. When I work out my legs and arms only seem to get toned. And What's the average cost in Denver, CO including all fees?

Candidate for a Tummy Tuck

+2
I don't mean to offend you but you should lose at least 40lbs. Your BMI is now at 41 and it's not safe to have a Tummy tuck with that weight. You should change your lifestyle by excercising and eat healthy and when it gets to 34-35 then you'll be a good candidate for a Tummy tuck (if your health condition is also good enough)

TT

+1
Thank you for the pictures.

I don't believe that you're ready for plastic surgery yet. I would suggest a bariatric procedure in order to help you go down to 160-175 pounds. It's not safe for you to have plastic surgery right now.

Dr. Campos

Jaime Campos Leon, MD
Mexico Plastic Surgeon

Am I a good candidate for abdominoplasty?

+1
   I think some weight loss would provide for a better cosmetic result from tummy tuck.

Good candidates for abdominoplasty

+1
In order to yield the best results possible, we recommend that patients be fairly close to their ideal body weight. A tummy tuck would be safer and more effective if you were to lose at least 40 lbs. Many health risks are involved with patients who are over weight and want to undergo any type of cosmetic procedure. Once you have reached your goal weight you would be the ideal candidate for an abdominoplasty.

Orlando Llorente, MD

Should I lose weight before an abdominoplasty?

+1
Hello and thank you for your question. In my practice, we recently made the decision not to operate on patients with a body mass index (BMI) of 40 or more and to strongly encourage those with a BMI between 35 and 39 to lose weight before undergoing an elective cosmetic surgery procedure. This is not to discourage patients or to make them feel bad, but is done out of health concerns. Those with a higher BMI have a much increased risk of complications with anesthesia and would healing. Additionally, the results of procedures are much more satisfactory if the patient is closer to a healthy BMI. I encourage you to enlist the help of a nutritionist and trainer to get you down to a healthier BMI.

Steven Vath, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon

+1
Your BMI is quite high at 41. Ideally, you should loose significant weight---at least 50lbs, and this should be the gateway to a more healthy lifestyle. However, it's not uncommon to perform an Abdominoplasty (Tummy Tuck) in this situation, and that serves as a platform to a lifestyle change. You would in my opinion benefit greatly from a Tummy Tuck at this time.

Thomas Trevisani, Sr., MD

Body Contouring

+1
In a perfect world, it would be preferable for you to be closer to your ideal weight before considering body contouring surgery. That said, it is sometimes not possible for people to lose a significant amount of weight. In those cases I still think there is substantial benefit to be obtained by body contouring. From your photographs, I think you would benefit from an extended abdominoplasty to remove skin and fat of the abdomen and lateral flanks. I do not think you necessarily need a full body lift. Seek a plastic surgeon who is certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery who specializes in cosmetic plastic surgery, as evidenced by membership in The American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery. Ask to see many pre and post op photos and speak with previous patients.

John Squires, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon

+1

Thank you for the question and pictures. I would recommend losing as much weight as possible before having  any body contouring procedure done.   As you know, other professionals (instead of plastic surgeons) may be of help to you: nutritionists, personal trainers, and/or weight loss specialists.  Achieving, as close to possible to your long-term stable weight, prior to proceeding with surgery, will increase the safety of the operation performed, improve the outcome and minimize the chances that additional surgery will be necessary subsequently.  Then, when the time is right, seek consultation with board-certified plastic surgeons who can demonstrate significant experience helping patients achieve the types of outcomes you would be pleased with. Then, communicate your goals carefully. You may find the attached link, dedicated to patients who have had significant weight loss, helpful to you. Best wishes.

Weight loss vs tummy tuck

+1
Dear insearchofhelp,

Your best overall result would probably come from weight loss and then a lower body lift comprising a tummy tuck and buttock lift.  You can get an extended tummy tuck and achieve significant improvements.

Dr Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD

Do I Need to Lose Weight before a Tummy Tuck (Abdominoplasty)?

+1
  • Based on the photos you have provided, and your weight of 210 pounds and your height around 5 feet, you are not yet ready for a tummy tuck. 
  • You will have a much improved result if you wait until you lose at least 50 pounds. 
  • If you were to have a tummy tuck now, very little skin would be able to be removed because you still have an abundance of intra-abdominal fat. Additionally, you would have a very round appearance. 
  • Best of luck losing that weight, and thanks for sharing!  Your question is a very common one, and hopefully your photos and question will help others who are in a similar situation. 

Joshua Cooper, MD, FACS