Dents in Chin After Ultherapy?

I had a full face Ultherapy treatment about three weeks ago. I did have a couple of nodules near my mouth and temple that with massage have since resolved. My concern is that I have a dent in my chin that looks almost like a dimple or cleft when I move my face to speak. It is just to the left of where a normal cleft would be, so it looks very odd. I still have slight tenderness along the jawline, but this dent doesn't seem to be connected to any inflammation. Could this be permanent damage?

Ultherapy with a facial dent

+1

Thank you for your question.  This is most likely post treatment swelling or possibly a small amount of fluid a in the region.  This will resolve in a short time frame.  Good Luck

Ultherapy can it cause a dent

+1

the nodules you mention that have resolved may have been localized dermal swellings of fluid (edema) that spontaneously disappeared. Indentations are not an expected side effect of ultherapy. The ultrasound energy heats up the dermis and has not been shown to dissolve fat. You should see your doctor to evaluate your indentation. It may improve over time but if it doesn't it fillers might be used to elevate the depression. Your doctor may discuss the risks and advantages of such a treatment and the different types of fillers that may help such as the reversible / dissolvable hyaluronic acid fillers, Restylane, Belotero, and Juvederm.

Ronald Shelton, MD

Dent in Chin after Ultherapy

+1

Thank you for your question. It is not uncommon to experience slight swelling for a few days, or tingling/tenderness to the touch for a few weeks following the procedure, but these are mild and temporary in nature. Since you only had the treatment three weeks ago, I would give your body more time to heal. It is likely that the dents will even out in the next few days or weeks. Best of luck.

Daniel Shapiro, MD

It is possible to have some irregularities after Ultherapy

+1

It is possible to have some irregularities after Ultherapy.  It may just be swelling or some nerve irritation.  Ultimately a dent can be treated with filler, but I would wait up to 6 months before considering further treatment because inflammation and swelling can create what may look like a dent, which means once the inflammation or swelling resolves, the dent will go away.

Joseph A. Eviatar, MD, FACS
New York Oculoplastic Surgeon

Chin dimple after Ulthera

+1

I am confused.  You mentioned some "nodules" near your mouth and temple.  Nodules are not a complication of Ultherapy that I have ever observed.  The transducer places very discrete pinpoint injuries that measure 0.5 mm wide by 1.8 mm long in a line of 10-20 pinpoint "hits" each time the button is depressed and the transducer fired.  Nodules should not occur with this treatment.

As far as the dimple goes, did they run the transducer over the area of concern?  Again, each firing of the transducer produces a line of 10-20 tiny injuries spaced a mm apart.  I can not see how a larger area of tissue destruction could occur, unless they ran the transducer over the same area over and over again.  Hard to explain.  I suggest you contact the physician that did the treatment immediately for evaluation.  Temporary correction can be obtained by injecting a hyaluronic acid filler.  With time it may fill in also.  Hope this helps.  Do give your doctor a call.

Curt Samlaska, MD