Can Dentists Legally Offer Botox in CA?

Can a dentist offer cosmetic Botox and Dermal fillers in his or her practice in the state of CA?

Botox and fillers

+1

I recommend consulting with a board certified plastic surgeon or dermatologist if you are interested in Botox or facial fillers in the state of California. There are many other fields who may be attempting to use these products, but you must consider their experience and their knowledge of the anatomy and complications of the products.

You probably wouldn't go to a plastic surgeon for a dental cleaning, so consider carefully before going to a dentist for a cosmetic facial procedure.

Dr. Bruno

Dentists can legally offer Botox in CA, but only in very limited circumstances

+1

Dear Lundelhull

The practice of dentistry in California is regulated by the State. The Dental board of California is charged with the oversight of Dental professionals in the state of California.

In California, it is illegal for general dentists to use Botox and fillers cosmetically. However, there is an exception for dentists who have completed residencies in oral maxillofacial surgery. These individuals can apply through the Dental Board of California for an Elective Facial Cosmetic Surgery permit.

There are two categories for these permits. Category I relates to cosmetic facial surgery and Category II relates to the use of cosmetic fillers and BOTOX. The details of this system can be found in the California business and profession code Section 1638.1.

Currently, there are 16 Dentists in California that hold these permits. Note that these restrictions do not apply to oral surgeons who have also graduated from a medical school and are medical doctors.

So, if it is your general dentist offering you BOTOX, it is illegal, but if it is one of these highly qualified oral surgeons, it is legal in California. If you have additional questions, I recommend you contact the Dental Board of California.