Can a Dentist Order Invisalign Without Telling You the Price ??

I got my braces off 4 weeks ago and was not happy with the result. My dentist told me he would handle it. After 4 weeks of wondering why my top retainer was not in yet I went in and asked.My dentist told me he ordered 2 -3 trays of invisalign and that it takes 6 weeks to create an ship. He was busy, so he couldn't talk any longer. I went home and found out it costs near 5 grand. Do the amount of trays have any influence on the price? Will the invisalign still fit b/c my teeth have shifted?

Invisalign trays following braces

+1

Yes the number of trays that you use will decide the cost-- There are now numbers of other company's out there that make trays for final or small amounts of movements that are much less expensive than Invisalign.  I know in my practice if I ever have to do aligners following treatment, and it was not talked about prior to starting treatment, I never charge the patient so hopefully that is the case:)

Sandy Orthodontist

Invisalign costs can vary

+1

Until the dentist gets the ClinCheck (the computer treatment plan), they don't know how many aligners/trays are needed for the case.  Until then, only a range of fees can be given.

However, I strongly suggest that you be aware of all costs before starting.  This will avoid any surprises.

Lance Timmerman, DMD
Seattle Cosmetic Dentist

Invisalign Does Have Different Lab Fees

+1

Invisalign has different pricing tiers for treatments based on the number of aligners and other options included:

• Invisalign Express 5 - Under 5 aligners
  • Invisalign Express - Between 5-10 aligners
  • Full Invisalign - More than 10 aligners
  • Invisalign Teen

Your dentist will be able to tell you what the lab fees are for your case if you are interested. Between the time your doctor puts in to plan and approve your ClinCheck, refinements they may need to make during your Invisalign treatment, and the lab fee itself costs can add up fast.

I wouldn't worry too much about your teeth shifting because Invisalign aligners are active appliances and will start moving your teeth back in the right direction (though it is common practice to provide some clear retainers to hold your teeth until the aligners arrive).

Make sure you discuss your goals for your smile with your doctor, so that you can have your treatment completed satisfactorily.

Scott Frey, DDS
Allentown Orthodontist