Dental Work Before Revision?

I am having a revision on my breast lift due to a CC after having fluid/blood that was undetected. My question is can I go get a filling replaced? Do I need a antibiotic before I go to the dentist? What about a cleaning? My revision is in March. I have read that a filling or root canal can cause CC. Is this true? And what are the odds that the breast that doesn't have CC gets it? I am nervous and don't know if I should wait on dental work or have it fixed ASAP?

Dental Work Before Breast Revision for Capsular Contracture

+1

Always have the dental work before breast implant revision surgery performed for capsular contracture.  Transient bacteremia after a dental procedure can be controlled by antibiotics.  The breast implant revision can then be performed safely in a few weeks.  One of the theories for capsular contracture is biofilm, which may develop due to bacteremia.

Dental work after breast implants

+1

Some surgeons believe that dental work may cause capsular contracture, and they want you on antibiotics around the time of the dental work.  It is probably true soon after breast surgery, but unlikely if it has been several months or years, but we don't really know for sure.  I would definitely recommend having the dental work before your breast revision.

Dennis Dass, MD

Dental work and breast capsules

+1

There is no documented evidence in the literature that suggests a breast capsule could develop after dental work. Yet some doctors recommend prpophylactic antibiotics.  It might be a good idea to have the work done now since your surgery is a few months away, and it would not be a good idea to have it done at the same time as your surgery.

Dental Work before Revision

+1

Any dental procedure can result in a brief increase in the bacteria present in your bloodstream and therefore can present a risk of infection or infection related complications to a surgical site or to an implant. This can even apply to an established implant (although this is rare). The effect is short lived and if there is more than a day or two between your dental procedure and your surgery you should not be at any increased risk for infection of the implants or other infection related complication.

Appropriate antibiotics in conjunction with your dental work and your surgery should also decrease your risk.

Eugene J. Sidoti, Jr., MD
Scarsdale Plastic Surgeon

Dental Work Before Revision

+1

If there is a risk with dental work, and this is somewhat controversial since there is no real data, you would bear that risk whenever you have your dental work since you already have implants. In that setting, I would do the dental work now, and discuss with your surgeon and dentist about the antibiotics, since one of them will have to write the prescription. Although there isn't data, and since you will be close to surgery for your dental work whether before or after, I would favor a short antibiotic course.

Thanks for your question, best wishes.