What Addition Steps To Take For Dental Implants When I Have Lupus?

I currently have Lupus which is well managed by plaquinil with no steroid use, but with slightly elevated c reactive protein (inflammation).I need to get 2 front teeth replaced with implants due to severe cracks far down on the root. What questions should I ask to make sure I have a surgeon who truly understands my illness? What signs should I look for to make sure things are progessing the way they should healing wise, as I take longer to heal than most patients? Any help is appreciated!

Dental Implants and Lupus

+3

I would suggest having a board certified oral and maxillofacial surgeon place your implants. Today there are many oral surgeons who also have MD degrees as well as a DDS or DMD. I think this sort of specialist would be able to treat you best.

Cleveland Cosmetic Dentist

Dental Implants and Healing Time

+1

By all means use an Oral Surgeon in conjunction with your dentist.  I would also suggest to discuss flapless surgery and implant placement. Hopefully you can do a one stage surgery to remove the teeth and place the implants at the same time.  Also consider asking if they can leave the healing caps on so the tissue architecture can be preserved and no sutures will be needed.  

If necessary sometimes topical steroid trays can be used to help facilitate faster healing.

Houston Cosmetic Dentist

Lupus and dental implants

+1

Lupus issuer tissue related condition as you are well aware of it. If you are on regular plaquinil, you should be fine, but since you c reactive is a bit high, it would be wiser to start me drool pack two days before and continue it after.

the best is to ask your treating implant surgical dentist to consult with your physician.

All the best

New York Cosmetic Dentist

Dental Implants in patients with Lupus... There is hope

+1

A detailed and thorough medical examination with blood work should be done and the results discussed by your MD and DDS to lay-out all of the possible risks and outcomes of dental implant therapy. There is virtually no literature specifically addressing the issue of implant placement in the lupus patient.  Some questions you can ask your dental implant surgeon are:

1. Do you know what Lupus is?

2. Have you previously treated patients with Lupus?

3. Have you placed dental implants on a patient with Lupus?

4.  What was your rate of success/ failure with implants in Lupus patients?

5.  Are you comfortable placing implants in a patient with Lupus?

Having Lupus is not an absolute- contraindication for dental implant therapy, but there may be increased risk of infection and non- integration.   If you do choose to have dental implants placed I recommend that you be cleared by your MD and be followed closely by the implant surgeon during the healing phase to monitor for infection/ non-integration.  Implants are an amazing way to restore missing teeth.  I hope this helps.  Wish you all the best.

Beverly Hills Cosmetic Dentist