Dental Implants Insurance

Does insurance cover dental implants? Would my health care insurance cover any of it, or is it strictly under dental insurance?

Dental implant insurance

+4

Unfortunately there is no simple answer to your question. In my experience, most of the time dental insurance covers little or nothing for dental implants. This has started to change in the last few years though, and I have had patients who have received some coverage (for example, the crown only). I can think of one patient with traditional dental insurance who had two implants completely covered (implant, abutment and crown), but this is the exception not the rule. It really depends on what type of insurance coverage was purchased. I don't believe I've ever had a patient whose implants were covered by medical insurance, but my oral surgeon friends tell me it's possible.

Cleveland Cosmetic Dentist

Dental insurance covering implant

+2

Currently there are some dental PPO plans that do cover implant treatment from implant placement to final restoration. Usually they cover 50-80% of implant cost and some insurance companies have similar price range in comparison to average private practice prices. Dental insurance companies require the waiting period before they will start to cover dental implants if this is included in the plan. Some medical insurancies cover dental implants used for fixation of maxillofacial prostheses after cancer reconstructions or severe trauma. 

Olga Kharevich, DMD, PhD (in memoriam)
Miami Cosmetic Dentist

Medical insurance is starting to cover implants

+2
Not all, so there may be some homework for you it the dental office to find out. Medical may even cover the bone grafting and other charges, just not the restoration on the implant. Find an experienced office to help.

Lance Timmerman, DMD
Seattle Cosmetic Dentist

Insurance for Dental implants

+1

More and more dental insurances are paying for a portion (40%-80%) of dental implant placement and restoration.  You or your dental office would have to call your dental insurance carrier to find out if there’s any coverage.  Medical insurances don’t usually pay for dental implants.  But some medical insurance companies will pay for bone grafting or sedation for the procedures.  Your dental office will have to get in touch with the medical insurance company to find out. Good Luck!

Peter Mann, DDS
Manhattan Cosmetic Dentist

Implants- Insurance Coverage

+1

Dental implants are covered by most of the PPO dental insurances. You should carefully look into the plan provided by your employer before you make a selection . Again , there are many hidden clauses with the insurances and you should call them before making any deicison.

The Mediacl insurance will not cover for the dental implants.

Good luck to you.

Dalvir Pannu, DDS
San Jose Cosmetic Dentist

Medical doesn't cover implants, some dental insurance does

+1

I guess I answered your question in my headline! I've found that some dental Insurance companies still do not cover implants so shop carefully. Also remember that there is usually a waiting period before insurance will cover major work like an implant or crown.

Michael J. Thomas, DDS
Los Angeles Cosmetic Dentist

Medical insurance does not cover dental implants

+1

Some dental insurances are starting to cover a portion of dental implants. Any office should be able to sent in the necessary records and paperwork to determine your benefits for implants. Medical insurance does not cover them.

Anca Bazile, DDS
New York Cosmetic Dentist