Can Dental Implants Make the Gums Look Protruded?

The problem with my teeth is that it is very protruded and braces cannot solve it anymore. So the protruding front teeth are extracted to solve the problem. I want to have dental implants but I am afraid if dental implants can make my gums and teeth look protruded again? Can dental implants make the gums look protruded? Thank you

Protrusion of maxillary teeth and dental implants

+2

In the situation of upper protruded teeth it is important to identify the ideal position of incisal edge and anterior central teeth. Usually it is completely clear after diagnostic step which usually includes cephalometric, panoramic and periapical xrays, diagnostic wax-up, identifying the prognosis of remaining anterior teeth. Sometimes orthognathic surgery or orthodontic treatment can be recommended in cases where sceletal relationship between maxilla and mandible are altered. Minor changes can be corrected with implant supported restorations as well as the cases where the patients are not candidates for orthodontic/orthognathic treatment. The prosthodontic consult is very important in treatment planning of such cases. In certain patients with protruded upper teeth we were able to help to improve overall anterior esthetic with extraction of malpositioned teeth and restoring anterior areas with implant supported restorations.

Miami Cosmetic Dentist

Dental Implants and Cosmetic Dentistry

+2

This is an interesting question.  The truth of the matter is that today implants should be placed with the end in mind. This means careful planning to determine where the implant needs to be placed is essential. If the implant needs to be placed in an area where there is not ample bone, then a bone graft should be completed. Placing implants in compromised positions can lead to poor cosmetic and functional results.

Second, the type of implant used is also essential.  Bone level implants should almost always be used.  This allows for the use of custom abutments which basically allow the restorative dentist to have the crowns designed to the same root size as the natural tooth.  There should not be any problems with seeing any of the implant neck when this technique is used.

Finally good surgical skills and temporization can allow the preservation of the gum tissue architecture further enhancing the final cosmetic results.

In short, implants can provide excellent dental cosmetics and do require skilled dentists and dental surgeons working in tandem.

Ronald Konig DDS
Houston Cosmetic Dentist

Save Healthy Teeth

+1

I would recommend saving your own teeth, especially if they’re healthy.  While implants are wonderful, nothing is better than what Mother Nature gave you.  The question I think worthwhile pursuing is; why can’t braces correct your smile?  Perhaps it’s worth getting a second opinion from another Orthodontist.  There are many orthodontic techniques much less invasive than dental implants for correcting people’s smiles.

Good Luck!

Peter Mann, DDS
Manhattan Cosmetic Dentist

Save healthy teeth and gums.

+1

Its always the best advice I can give. Implants arent always perfect for patients and they do have some problems with the front teeth and implants looking good. Bone tends to resorb away from the implant over time and could show some metal near the gum line. The best thing is to save your own teeth and have them moved into position and get your gums healthy. If they are a total loss then of course removing them is the only route followed by implants. the implants can be placed in a position to look great and wont be sticking out like your old teeth...

Michael J. Thomas, DDS
Los Angeles Cosmetic Dentist

Implant placement

+1

No. An implant placed correct on the ridge is not supposed to be protruded.

It is best to save your own teeth. Nothing is better than your own teeth.

Antoaneta Barba, DDS
Santa Ana Cosmetic Dentist

+1

The answer is NO. Dental implants won't create a protruded look.

The real answer to your question lies in having more information about your initial problem. Sometimes gum problems can cause the front teeth to flare out and push forward, making them look protruded. If the gum disease is bad enough, then removing the teeth may be the only option. 

The dental implants can be positioned back to a more normal alignment so the new look will probably be much improved.

You may have had some bite collapse (meaning your bite is not as tall as it used to be). This could affect how straight the new teeth line up. 

Like with a lot of other cosmetic dentistry procedures, a good cosmetic dentist can help create a wax up or computer simulation to help you both have a good preview BEFORE you start any care like this.

You'll probably have great results! Thanks, Dr. Scott Greenhalgh, DDS

Scott Greenhalgh, DDS
Denver Cosmetic Dentist

Can Dental Implants make Teeth Look Protruded?

+1

This is a question that may require more information to answer correctly because I don't know the exact reason for why the orthodontist could not solve the protrusion of your teeth.  Is it a skeletal problem with your upper jaw?  Is it the agulation of your teeth?  Is it your bite?  The dental implants can definitely improve the angulation when placed; however, they can not correct skeletal malocclusions and the bite may need to be improved first before placing the implants.  This sounds like a situation where you may want to get several opinions so that you feel comfortable before any extractions.  It is always better to keep natural teeth if possible and they are healthy. 

Toni Margio, DMD
Las Vegas Cosmetic Dentist

Correcting protrusion look with dental implants

+1

Hi

The position of the implant and the crown depends on your bite, relationship with other teeth, amount of space and aesthetic requirements. The objective should be to create a very natural looking crown that fits well with other teeth. The implant should be placed in a way that accomplished this goal.

Dr. Kazemi

H. Ryan Kazemi, DMD
Bethesda Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeon

Extracting Healthy Teeth Should Not be an Option

+1

If your teeth are protruding, you may need to have an  oral surgeon move your jaw to correct the situation(orthognathic surgery) with a orthodontist's guidance. 

Implants replace teeth so treatment planning is very important.  They mimic tooth roots and need bone.  Be very careful before you remove good teeth.  You can end up looking worse than how things look now.

Get a consult with a specialist called a Prosthodontist for help-They are trained in advanced dental techniques including Implants and Dentures.  Much success!

Wendy S. Spektor, DDS
Bellevue Cosmetic Dentist

Protrusion after Implants

+1

It is always better to save your natural teeth. Orthognathic surgery and more orthodontics may be a better solution that implants - and a lower cost.

Mickey Bernstein, DDS
Memphis Cosmetic Dentist