Dental Implants First or After Facial Implants?

I am having 3 dental implants placed, and I am also having a paranasal implant, and manibular implants. Should I do dental implants first? How long should I wait between procedures, and healing? I am not having the mandibular implant and paranasal implants placed at the same time. Is 3 months long enough between procedures?

Promoted Local Answer Promoted local answers are based on Featured Doctor activity within your current location.

Timing of dental implants vs other facial implants

+1

Depending on the location of the dental imlants, it may not make much difference which comes first. However, I agree with other clinicians that two to three months of healing is more than adequate from implant surgery and to allow any potential swelling to subside before facial implants surgery. If the implants are done in a non-iinvasive fashion, then you may not have any swelling at all and the time in between can be even less. A discussion between your surgeons is a good idea.

Bethesda Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeon

Dental implants and facial implants

+2

Timing of dental and plastic surgery procedures should be coordinated between your dentist and plastic surgeon. If you don`t need any grafting during dental surgery, 2 months should be a descent timing before facial implant placement. If your dental treatment will require additional bone or soft tissue grafting procedure the interval between dental and plastic surgery should be at least 3-4 months when all the grafts are completely stable and can resist additional surgical intrusion. Depending on the complexity of your dental implant treatment and amount of soft tissue/bone, your dentist can require from plastic surgeon to avoid certain areas for incision to place mandibular implants.

Miami Cosmetic Dentist

Dental and Maxillofacial work at the same time!

+1

As a Board Certified Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeon, I will perform both procedures at the same time. In my OR, you are treated as any hospital case and everything is completely sterile. I will usually place the MANDIBULAR and para nasal implants first, then the dental implants after a thorough intraoral rinse and swab with antibacterials. If you don't have the luxury of having someone who has the training in both, then do the facial implants first and wait at least 6 weeks to have the implants. Make sure your see board certifiied surgeons for both parts for the best outcome!!

Baltimore Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeon

Dental Implants first and than Cosmetic Work

+1

I would always recommend that the cosmetic dentistry be done first and than have the cosmetic facial surgery after. The reason being, sometimes after mulitiple dental implants, you will find a more attractive smile and your face make look much younger.. Often times, you will decide that you like what you see and may not want to do any serious cosmetic work. Maybe a little botox and some derma fillers around the mouth and the eyes will do the trick. True, it is not a permanent cosmetic procedure, but they are much less expensive and non invasive.  I would try this route rather than all of the surgery first.

Sometimes implants, veneers, and botox can change your entire smile and face! 

Between procedures, you need to wait until the implants have healed and all swelling is gone ....a few months depending on how many implants and how complicated the case turns out to be.  Good luck and enjoy your new smile! 

Valencia Cosmetic Dentist

Dental implants before facial implants

+1

Have the dentist/surgeon communicate with the plastic surgeon to coordinate, but generally you would place the dental implants first. After they have fused to the bone, the other procedures can be completed.

3 months should be enough time to wait between procedures, but depending on where the dental implants are placed, more time between placement and restoring (putting crowns or bridges on the implants) may be needed, perhaps up to 6 months.

Web reference: http://www.BestSeattleDentist.com

Seattle Cosmetic Dentist

Dental implants first then facial implants

+1

You need to have the dental implants placed first and after the swelling has subsided and they have integrated and been tested for integration with the final restoration, then you do the facial implants. Also, your facial implants are sometimes screwed into the bone so if you have a dental implant in the region of the facial implant the surgeon needs to know this. Ask your surgeon if he or she can do both the procedures for you. Good Luck!

Mclean Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeon

Staging of facial implants and dental surgery

+1

3 months are typically a sufficient amount of time to wait between procedures. However, the dental procedures commonly require more than one procedure. I would recommend meeting with your oral surgeon first to have a better understanding of the steps involved . 

Web reference: http://www.bodysculptor.com/

Implants for face and mouth

+1

I would place the dental implants first and you probably should wait a few months to go to do the second procedure because swelling should have subsided.

Ask a Doctor

Get personalized answers from board-certified doctors. For free.