Dental Implants or Dentures?

My grandparents both had dentures by the time they were in their late 60s. Are dental implants replacing dentures? If I replace my teeth as needed with dental implants throughout my life, can I eventually have a mouthful of implants and never need dentures? Or will the implants just serve as something to anchor dentures to?

Implants are a great option

+4

Dental implants can anchor dentures and can also be used to replace single teeth as they are lost. Hopefully, by taking good care of you teeth, you won't need either one. Implants are a great option that wasn't available to your grandparents.

Cleveland Cosmetic Dentist

Which is the better choice....Implants or Dentures?

+1

There are two routes you can go and it all depends on what you can afford. Unfortunately, many dentists do not address how much the patient is comfortable in spending.  Most people would opt for implants in a heart beat rather than have dentures.  Implants run from $1,000 to $5,000 a tooth.  Cost of a full mouth reconstruction can run from $24,000 to $100,000.  An alternative to a full implant is the mini implant. It is narrower, and is used for missing teeth that are located in a narrow area, pre-molar teeth and it you choose dentures, they are used to stablize the dentures so they do not move. 

Dentures cost anywhere from $1,200 to $2,800. The mini implants are placed to anchor the denture. Usually four are required and will run $2,400.  In our dental practice, we offer both to our patients. We have a specialist working with us who does implants and I do mini implants.  So the choice is yours! I would at least get two or three opinions from dental specialists and general dentists who do both procedures.  You can always do one implant at a time. so you need to decide for yourself what will work best for you to be happy with your teeth and also be able to live within your budget and not be financially stressed out!  Hope this helps!

Robert Fields, DDS
Los Angeles Cosmetic Dentist

Keep your natural teeth forever!

+1

If you take good care of your natural teeth then you will never need dentures or implants. Your grandpartents grew up in an age when teeth were pulled every time they had a problem. We dont do that now.

Michael J. Thomas, DDS
Los Angeles Cosmetic Dentist

You may never end up with dentures

+1

If you start with some healthy teeth, chances are you will end up with a combination of implants and teeth or just implants. Extreme cases end up with dentures anchored by implants. Generally, they start with a denture and "retrofit" it to implants.

Anca Bazile, DDS
New York Cosmetic Dentist

Dental Implants are becoming more common

+1

Yes, in the scenario you describe, it is possible that you could have a mouth full of implants and never have dentures.  You also could have dentures that are implant supported.

But you may find that you won't lose teeth like your family did.  Oral care is much better now than in the past.

Lance Timmerman, DMD
Seattle Cosmetic Dentist

You don't have to lose your teeth when you get old

+1

Just because your grandparents lost their teeth does not mean you have to.  Even if you inherited genetics that make you more prone to gum disease or tooth decay, we have technology available today that will help you keep your teeth and avoid implants or dentures in the future.  If you have already lost many of your teeth, implant technology will help you replace teeth without the hassles that go along with denture wear.

Susan Goode Estep, DMD
Atlanta Cosmetic Dentist