How Will Dental Implants Affect the Future Braces? (photo)

After years of suffering from bulimia, i'm finally paying the price with decaying teeth at a young age. I'm 27 years old, and need to get many of my teeth fixed. Based on the pictures below, how will dental implants effect the possibility of me getting braces down the road? I have both an overbite, and crooked bottom front teeth. I'm assuming that once the implant is in- it's "IN", and cannot be moved.

Braces Before Dental Implants

+1

I am happy to hear that you have overcome your past bulimia issues.  Unfortunately, many times you are left with a lifetime of dental issues to deal with.  Here is the sequence of steps to help you regain a healthy mouth.

1.  Extract any teeth that are deemed non-restorable (can't be saved.)

2. Treat any gum disease present to ensure that you have healthy gingival tissues.

3.  See your dentist and have them remove all decay and restore the teeth that can be saved.  

4.  Seek out an orthodontist and have the teeth straightened.

5.  Have any dental implants placed that are necessary.

6. Once dental implants have healed (4-6 months) restore the implants with permanent crowns.  

Houston Cosmetic Dentist

Dental Implants and Braces

+1

Implants cannot be moved once placed. So, your orthodontic treatment should be completed first to align the teeth and keep room for future placement of implant(s).
But prior to beginning orthodontic treatment, the decayed teeth will need to be restored with
fillings and/or crowns depending on how much tooth structure remains after removing the decay.

Once your teeth are free of cavities and/or if you've had teeth removed, you may ask
"why do I have to go without my teeth and missing spaces in my smile for a long time" because orthodontic treatment can take time to complete.

For esthetic reasons, if you have missing space(s) that show when you smile, there are
removable appliances that can be fabricated to fill the spaces with teeth. The
appliance can be worn while you're getting ortho treatment. Once your teeth are aligned,
you can have your implants placed.

I hope I answered your question!

Nilay Shah, DDS
Paramus Cosmetic Dentist

Dental Implants and Future Braces

+1

You are 100% correct. Once the implant is placed, it CANNOT be moved. Congratulations on finally getting healthy! I would suggest you let the dentist clean up your decay first, and then, if you are considering braces or invisalign, do that BEFORE you place the implant.

Jay Neuhaus, DDS
New York Cosmetic Dentist

How Will Dental Implants Affect the Future Braces?

+1

From the photos, it looks like you need the braces primarily for your front teeth.  If such is the case, then implants should have no effect; in fact they would help .

Murray Bruckel, DDS
Norwalk Cosmetic Dentist