Is It Possible to Have a Dental Implant Crown Replaced for a Larger, Wider Crown to Give Me a More Even Smile? (photo)

I was wondering if its possible 2 have my implant crown replaced for a larger size 2 create a even smile? Granted, the implant was done over 14 years ago. For the mot part I've been happy with it. However, as time went on I started noticing a decrease in my smile, giving me a collapsed looked on one side. I was hoping someone can explain why and what can be done? Although on the other side, I have a much larger crown from a root canal done in 1991, I would much rather keep it in its place. Thx

Can I Get A New Implant Crown?

+2

The position of a crown placed over a dental implant is completely determined by the placement of the implant.  If the implant is not placed in an ideal position there is only so much your restorative dentist can do to maintain or increase aesthetics.   Custom angled abutments are used sometimes to help correct  implants that are not in an ideal position.  There are limits though.  Potentially, a new crown could be placed with slightly thicker porcelain on that side.  You have to be careful though, because this may create a problem with keeping the area clean.  Also, if it is bulked out too much it may not look very good.  Consult with a cosmetic dentist to find out your options.  Good luck.

Houston Cosmetic Dentist

Replace Dental implant crown

+2

Dental implant crowns are dependent on where the dental implant was placed.  The neck of the dental implant and where it emerges from the tissues is key in determining the aesthetics of the crown.  THe crown may be bulked out if the implant is in a less than ideal position,but this can lead to a periodontal hazard because it is difficult to clean.  Consult with a few different folks and see what the opinions you get are.

Lawrence Singer, DMD
Washington Cosmetic Dentist

Changing an Implant Crown

+1

Yes, it is very possible to change out an implant crown if needed.  Information on the implant type and size need to be gathered for best results from your old dentist if available. 

As recommended by other doctors, I would recommend a complete exam and a smile design evaluation be done to determine what will get you the best cosmetic result as many times there are other options that create better results.  Don't be afraid to visit more then one dentist until you are comfortable.  Choose only dentists that are experienced in cosmetic dentistry as not all are good in this area.

Scott LeSueur, DDS
Mesa Cosmetic Dentist

Replacing dental implant crowns

+1

You can most definitely replace implant crowns.  If it was done 14 years ago, you need to ensure you can track down the initial paperwork on th eimlant system used (if you dont already have it) so that your current dentist can get a new crown made.  It si possible that only a crown needs to be fabricated but you must realize that something called an abutment may as well be required.  It is th epiece that connect the implant to the crown..  Your dentist will need to evaluate this.  Please be prepared when going to your dentist so as not to slow down your progress. 

Keith Blankenship, DDS
Jacksonville Cosmetic Dentist

Absolutely!! You deserve a super smile!!

+1

Your smile should and can be what you want.  If you are not happy with the appearance of your current crown make the investment in your smile to change the appearance.  The key is to work with a dentist which specializes in prosthodontics (e.g. spectacular looking smile specialist).  You'll know when you have found the best doc when s/he spends a significant amount of time evaluating and listening how YOU feel about the appearance of your smile.   

Bernard Ian Krupp, DDS
Baltimore Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeon

Replacing a crown on a dental implant.

+1

It is very hard to render advise based on those pictures but here is what I see.  You have a gorgeous smile.  Your upper lip moves up more on the left side compared to the right and as a result the teeth on the right look smaller than the ones on the left.  It does not look like the size of the teeth is mismatched.  As a result I don't think that replacing the crowns will accomplish what you want.  Maybe a bit of Botox in the left.  In general implant crowns can be easily replaced but we need a good reason.  I just don't see one.  Hope this helps.  

Dan Hagi, DDS
Toronto Cosmetic Dentist