Dental Gum Flap from Bone Graft?

Hi, I had a dental bone graft a week ago. I was prescribed mouthwash and pain meds. At three days my stitches holder came out. Today my face is very sore and swollen a little. The Dr. called in a antibiotic for me to start taking. My question is how long does it take for the flap of gum to recede or go away? And is it normal to have such pain at week?

Bone Grafting and Post Operative Discomfort

+1

Pain can be common in any invasive dental procedure especially involving the bone. Pre and post medications are essential to reduce or eliminate pain, reduce swelling and promote healing. I don't know what kind of sutures your dentist used but a long term dissolvable is appropiate for the flap not to open and initially heal.  Keep the area clean from plaque and it should all work out fine.

Red Bank Cosmetic Dentist

How long for flap to heal?

+1

It is normal to have pain from dental surgery but it should be getting better if not follow up or if its getting worse. The flap will be completely healed in about 30days good luck

Kevin Coughlin DMD, MBA, MAGD     CEO Baystate Dental PC

Kevin Coughlin, DMD
Springfield Cosmetic Dentist

Dental Flap from Bone Graft

+1

It is quite commom for the pain from any dental surgery to actually increase after a few days due to the increased inflammation and possible infection. Do as yor doctor pscribed and take the antibiotics and have him check the area.

Jay Neuhaus, DDS
New York Cosmetic Dentist

Pain after bone graft

+1

Bone grafting usually is an extensive procedure. It will take you some time to heal and get rid of pain. In our office we premedicate the patients with COX-2 inhibitors like Diflunisal that allows to prevent all pain cascade and reduce swelling. After taking antibiotics and pain-killers you will feel relieved. 

Olga Kharevich, DMD, PhD (in memoriam)
Miami Cosmetic Dentist