Ill-fitting Dental Crowns?

One of the crowns is rubbing against the inside of my mouth and I still speak with a lisp 3 weeks on. Will this eventually go or do I need further treatment?

Poor fitting crown

Chances are not good that you will adapt to this problem on your own.  Visit with your Dentist to see if the crown can be adjusted or polished.  If this doesn't help, the crown may need to be replaced.

Omaha Dentist

18009 Oak St
Omaha, NE 68130

Poor fitting crowns dont adjust on their own.

Hi Jenncher

The problems you describe will not go away without further intervention by the dentist.  You should return to your dentist and explain what you noticed. 

I might be something relatively easy for the dentist to rectify in just a matter of minutes. 

Worst case scenario you would need a new crown - which I think you should expect at no additional fee.

Steve Alper, DMD
New York Dentist

5 East 19th Street
New York, NY 10003

Lisps after a new crown is finished

The lisp will not be corrected by itselt . There is an open space that needs to be closed with more porcelain so the air doesn't produce :sibilant sounds"

It shouldn' t be that difficult to correct by adding more porcelain and at the same time the uncomfortable shape in the back could be recontoured

Laura Torrado, DDS
New York Dentist

116 Central Park South
New York, NY 10019

Crown rubbing check

Have the crown polished by the dentist.  If the crown is rough, it will make your cheek sore or your tongue irritated.  This will affect your speech.

It should be an easy solution if the edge of the crown is smooth.  Good luck talking all weekend!

Kathy Frazar, DDS, FAGD
Houston Dentist

4914 Bissonnet
Houston, TX 77401

Careful planning should prevent ill fitting crowns

The dentist should carefully design and plan the shape of the crown prior to placement to be harmonious with bite, soft tissue, and speech. Sometimes it is possible to make adjustments after placement to correct the issues you describe.

Mickey Bernstein, DDS
Memphis Dentist

2165 West St
Germantown, TN 38138

Adaptations are difficult to predict

There is no guarantee that you will adjust, and more often than not, you won't.  The best advice is to see the dentist that placed the restoration and see if there are some minor adjustments that can be done.

Lance Timmerman, DMD
Seattle Dentist

7100 Fort Dent Way
Tukwila, WA 98188

Crown causing lisp and poor fit

A crown on a front tooth will cause a lisp if the upper and lower front teeth are prevented from coming together the way they did previously.  This is often the case if the crown is too thick on the inside surface of an upper crown or the outside surface of a lower crown.  Your dentist should be able to make the necessary adjustment and repolish the crown and have you speaking normally again. 

Carlo Biasucci, DDS
Ontario Dentist

432 Great Northern Road
Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario P6B 4Z9

Problems with Dental Crowns

Problems such as a crown rubbing the inside of your cheek or speaking with a lisp require the attention of your dentist. This is a classic example of the fact that your dental crowns are generally made on a stone model in a dental laboratory (we also have CAD/CAM computer generated impressions and crown fabrication) that are unable to replicate the mouth environment completely with your lips, cheeks, tongue etc.. Therefore a cusp rubbing on your cheek or a lisp from to much air passing between your teeth may be a simple adjustment such as re-contouring and adjusting your bite, or sending the crown back to the laboratory for re-baking and/or addition of porcelain. Hopefully, they are not permanently cemented which can make adjustments more difficult.

Gerry Curatola, DDS
Manhattan Dentist

521 Park Ave
New York, NY 10065

Problems with a Poor Fitting Crown

It has been three weeks since the placement of the crown and you seem miserable. I am sorry, but the prognosis is not good that you will adapt to this new crown and your lisp and rubbing will go away.  Also YOU SHOULD NOT HAVE TO ADAPT!  If the placement of the crown had been done properly, you should feel no difference between the crown and your own natural tooth.  My adivce to you ...go back to the dentist that placed the crown and tell him you are not happy with the placement and you have given it three weeks and it is rubbing against the inside of your mouth and you lisp.  He either needs to try and fix the one he has placed or place a new one that your are happy with, at no charge to you....especially if he wants to keep you as his patient!  Go back and see your paid good money for your happy with the outcome and if you do not go back, they will never know and you will be miserable....Take good Care!  Dr. K

George Koutsoukos, DDS
Valencia Dentist

24155 Magic Mountain Pkwy
Valencia, CA 91355

Poorly Fitting Crowns Won't Self Adjust

When you have a crown that does not feel comfortable you should see your dentist and have it adjusted.  Though some patients can eventually train their tongue to eliminate the lisp it does not happen often.  The crown may be too bulky on the tongue side causing your tongue to hit it prematurely.  There could also be a space between the teeth that is causing the lisp.  Let your dentist evaluate it and come up with a plausible solution.  Good luck.

Scott Young, DDS
Houston Dentist

6769 Lake Woodlands Drive
The Woodlands, TX 77382