Can a Dental Bone Graft on Tooth #8 Cause Nasal Swelling?

About 6 weeks ago i had tooth #8 extracted and a bone graft in preparation for a dental implant. Now I notice my right nostril is thicker and hard. Will this go down when the bone graft integrates? Will the dental implant cause more nasal swelling in this nostril?

Promoted Local Answer Promoted local answers are based on Featured Doctor activity within your current location.

Nasal swelling

+1

Generally there is no swelling when a tooth socket is bone grafted.  However, if there was a preexisting infection that wasn't fully removed (like a dental abcess) then there may be an exacerbation of the infection.  In any case, your should have the areea x-rayed immediately or better even acane-beam CT scan and have it assessed.  You may likely need antibiotics.

Washington Cosmetic Dentist

Swelling

+1

You may have had swelling from your surgery. They resolve over a 10-14 day period. Otherwise there is no relationship between extraction, implant, or grafting with nostril region of the nose.

dr. kazemi

Bethesda Oral & Maxillofacial Surgeon

Swelling after surgery

+1

in a normal grafting surgery, the peak of the swelling is 48 hours and start going down. it depends how extensive is the gone grafting procedure. these procedure requires a lot of tissue manipulation to achieve a complete coverage of the grafted site thus the swelling. a hematoma can fill in the gap that is created under the mobilized tissue. usually with time the swelling start going down. a warm cloth is usually very benifitial after two week s of surgery.

New York Cosmetic Dentist

Nasal swelling could be from graft procedure..

+1

It is common for a little swelling to occur during and after a bone graft. I would recommend that a check up and xray be taken and probably some anitbiotics to reduce the inflammation...

Los Angeles Cosmetic Dentist

Swelling of the nose following extraction and bone grafting of an upper incisor.

+1

There is often swelling of the upper lip and sometimes the nose following an invasive treatment such as an extraction of a front tooth and bone grafting.  This swelling is limited in duration and usually resolved after about 7-10 days.  You had this work done 6 weeks ago!  This is a long time for the swelling to still be there.  Only thing I can think of is that often when we graft in the front of the mouth there is a tightness that is felt because the tissues are moved.  This is not swelling but you may be interpreting it as such because things feel different.  If you are not sure go back and have your doctor have a look.

Toronto Cosmetic Dentist

Some side effects are coincidences and not related

+1

While I have never seen this event, it does not mean it is not related.  Having said that, it is entirely possible that it will go away completely after treatment is complete.

But it might not.

Web reference: http://www.bestseattledentist.com

Seattle Cosmetic Dentist