Dental Bonding Breaking Away?

I have dental bonding on the front six teeth. There seems to be more than one layer of bonding: a very smooth layer and an outer layer than seems to be wearing away. The outer layer seems a lot more brittle and prone to trauma and staining. Is it supposed to wear away? I’ve been using interdental brushes on the front (across the teeth not just between them), and I am not sure if this has altered some of this outer layer. Thank you.

Dental Bonding Chipping Away

+1

Dental bonding is a material that is placed over the surface of teeth to correct chips, staining, etc.  This material is bonded to your existing enamel or dentin.  If this material is starting to fail you should see a cosmetic dentist and consider placing procelain veneers or porcelain crowns.  These materials have a better longevity than bonding and are more aesthetic.  Hope this helps.

Houston Cosmetic Dentist

Bonding Wearing Away

+1

Composite bonding is a permanent material, but it does eventually wear out and need to be replaced. It's possible that what you call the inner layer is your actual tooth and not bonding. Brushing shouldn't wear away bonding. The only way to know what's going on here is to see a dentist for an exam.

Cleveland Cosmetic Dentist

Dental Bonding

+1

You had six front teeth bonded six months ago and you say the outer layer is wearing away. I have had dental bonding chip and break and discolor.If done properly, it should last much longer than six months unless your bite is a problem placing too much force on the front teeth. Bonding is a composte resin that is applied to your tooth after it is had been etched and a conditioning liquid is applied. The bonding material is a putty like resin that is smoothed on and molded to your tooth. An ultraviolet light or laser is used to harden the material after is has been shaped to your tooth. I do not see where you would have an outer layer of bonding peeling back from the tooth. Bonding is not as strong as your natural teeth and will chip and stain easily.Go back to your dentist and show him what is happening and he should repair them without charging you. Brush with a soft brush always and be careful of what you chew...no ice etc. Take good care Nightfly!

Valencia Cosmetic Dentist

Bonding breaking away?

+1

Time to replace with new bonding or consider veneers or crowns... Good luck

Kevin Coughlin DMD, MBA, MAGD     CEO Baystate Dental PC

Springfield Cosmetic Dentist