Are Dental Assistants Legally Able to Do Impressions for Invisalign in CA?

Good question!

+1

I believe the answer is, "No".   Guess you could call the dental board and get a definite answer.  Probability is that the assistants are more experienced in handling these materials though.  The laws vary from state to state regarding extended duties but laws don't regulate quality.  I learned a ton from an elderly male dental assistant at the VA Hospital during my oral surgery rotation at the Hospital Dentistry Program.  Felix taught me how to gently extract teeth.  I remember his time-worn hand covering mine while he said, "Firm steady pressure....from side to side".  You want a quality impression and an involved, supervising doctor that checks every step along the way regardless of who takes the impression.  Just my opinion.  Impressions for any final appliance by law......

Sacramento Orthodontist