Dent in Cleavage, Both Breasts. What is It? (photo)

Currently 8 days post op. dent appeared roughly 5 days in. Cant be felt when lying down. The area feels flat as opposed to rounded like the rest of the breast. Is this due to over stretched skin and part of the healing stage? I note my PS aimed to "close" my cleavage gap, as i had a wide gap preop. Very frustrating as i havent found any similar cases. Implants were 390cc anatomical unders silicone

Dents Due To Release of Muscle Fibers

+2
Thany you for your question and photos. The dents you are noticing are from release of the muscle fibers medially to accomodate the implants. This should improve significantly with time. Discuss this concern with your surgeon further. Good luck on your recovery.

Fairfax Plastic Surgeon

Indention of the medial breast following a breast augmentation

+2

You are very early in the healing process.  This could be a temporary problem.  I would suggest massaging the implants pushing them in toward the midline.  Other possible causes could be an incomplete release of the muscle fibers in the lateral sternal area.  Some individuals have accessory fibers of the pectoralis muscle that need to be released in this area.  I many cases the muscle is released from the 7:00 to the 5:00 position.  Above this area there can be some additional bands that need to be released. At this point, stick to the massage and see if it is not just an early unusual shape that will resolve with time.   

Denting medial breasts after breast augmentation

+1

It is important to emphasize that you are 8 days post op.  This is so early in the post op period that you cannot judge this area.  The most likely cause would be a contour irregularity in the pocket due to muscle fibers.  These may or may not settle out with time but your ps was trying to give you more cleavage.  This is a very difficult area to get 100% accurate.  However, as mentioned..wait several months and if this does not settle down to your satisfaction, then ask your ps if there is anything that they would suggest to improve the area if it still exists.   Know the pros and cons of any suggestions and then you BOTH have to decide if anything should be done to your otherwise very nice result. In my practice, I would not let you make any decision until you are 6 months or more from your procedure and better to be a year.  Enjoy your result.  Summer is just about here and what you perceive as a final irregularity might just be a temporary dent that will settle to your satisfaction.

Steven M. Lynch, MD
Albany Plastic Surgeon

Contour irregularities of the breast eight days after breast augmentation are not uncommon.

+1

The picture demonstrates some medial contour irregularities. These would be of concern several months after the operation. After a few weeks let alone a few days swelling in the surrounding tissues most likely explains the problem.

Cleavage irregularities after silicone anatomical breast implants under the muscle augmentation

+1

I recommend that you speak to your board certified Plastic Surgeon. Only he or she knows your anatomy that was seen at the time if your augmentation surgery. It may represent where the pectoralis muscle was dissected. Good luck

Laurie Casas, MD

Dent in Cleavage

+1

These indentations appear to be from slips of pectoral muscles where they insert into the sternum (breastbone). 

As the capsule forms around the implant, it may well be that these become less noticeable or unnoticeable. In the meantime, continuing with massage may help.

Thank you for your question, all the best.

Dent after implants

+1

hi, it is too early to tell yet.. I know it bothers you but be patient and give it 3 months and re-evaluate.  good luck to you!

Michael A. Fiorillo, MD

Dent in cleavage

+1

Thanks for your inquiry, I think you are seeing the edge of the muscle fibers.  Sometimes there are two rows of origins of the muscle in that location.  It is very early and should expect improvement over time.  Please be seeing your plastic surgeon regularly to discuss.

Vishnu Rumalla, MD

Dent in cleavage

+1

Thanks for your question and pictures.  It is possible that not enough muscle was released towards the chest bone and the implant is not able to fill that area out as well as the rest of the breast.  An exam would help answer the question best. 

Naveen Setty, MD

Dent in cleavage

+1

It seems due to the muscle... if it changes with animation and flattens more,  sure that it is the cause for that dent.  Anyway you will have to leave time to determine how it evolves.

Jesus Benito-Ruiz, MD
Spain Plastic Surgeon