Dent and Bruising/development of Stretch Marks in Augmented Breast? (photo)

I got my breasts done at the end of May. I healed fairly well with very little bruising. I got high profile round saline implants. Recently in the last week I've noticed a large depression on my left breast and a mild one on the right. My left breast was smaller to start with and was filled more than my right implant. I was wondering what these dents are and if I should be worried that it's something like capsular contracture or something else.

Dent in breast after augmentation

+2

When the breast implant fills the lower pole of the breast and the original breast tissue shifts upward (toward the nipple) a line or area is formed in the lower part of the breast that may resemble a dent.

In this area, the implant is more palpable, rippling may be visible or palpable. During the following few months, the breast tissue will gradually adjust and thin, so that the transition area (or "dent" ) will be less noticeable.

In most cases, the final outcome is very good.  However, some women prefer to avoid this transition.  To correct this problem, I recommend a structural fat transfer, which will soften or eliminate the transition, decrease or eliminate the rippling, and make the implant less palpable.

San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Indentation of breast

+1

This indentationn is the juncture between your original breat fold and the implant. This may stretch out a bit with time.  If not a revision may be necessary.

Dent & Bruising After Aug?#breastimplants

+1

I think you got an amazing result. You look great. Without pre operative photos it is hard to GUESS what this is. So without being able to examine you and see pre operative pictures I can make a best guess at what I think is going on. What it looks like to me is that you are seeing the implant at the lower pole of the breast along the crease. I usually release the muscle along the lower breast so that the implant sits partially below the muscle and partially below the breast tissue. This is just along the lower fold of the breast only. The reason this is done is to allow the implant to settle down and not ride too high on the chest in the long run. It seems to me that your implant has settled down creating fullness of the lower pole but the breast tissue from where the muscle was released has ridden upward, as it should, and it just has not smoothed out yet. That tissue should thin over time and create a better contour. Again, realize this is a best guess. I have no idea what your surgeon did technically except give you what looks like a great result.

Richard J. Brown, MD

Dents in breasts post augmentation

+1

A preoperative photo would be helpful, but it seems that you had a high inframammary fold prior to your augmentation.  When you had your surgery, your surgeon lowered the fold so that the implant could be centered under your nipple (which was done correctly).  The old fold is creating the indentation that you notice now...you probably did not see it earlier due to swelling in the tissues from your surgery which had drifted downward with gravity.  This indentation may improve with time as the implant stretches the "tight" old fold...it may persist, but only time will tell...you should wait 8 to 12 months for this to improve...otherwise things look very good for an early result.

Leonard T. Yu, MD
Maui Plastic Surgeon

Dent and Bruising/development of Stretch Marks in Augmented Breast

+1

I find myself looking at a very nice result. I do not see the indentation at rest except when your arms are extended.

Without the benefit of pre-op photos, and I am not sure if this represents your original breast  fold. If the folds were high, the implants had to be placed lower than the fold and the mark is the original fold. Chances are that it will stretch out and become less and less apparent in the coming months. 

\The other possibility is that it is the lower part of the pectoralis muscle. The submuscular implants are almost always partially submuscular. Since this dent becomes apparent only in the position in which the pectoralis is contracted, this may be the cause. That too would be likely to improve over the next months.

Thanks for your question and for the useful photos!

Best wishes and congratulations on a nice result. 

Congratulations On Your Beautiful Breasts

+1

Dear Lari, Thank you for your excellent pictures and great question.  As one can see from your post operative picture, your breasts were very well done and your breast implants well placed.  Your surgeon went past the old line under your breast (called your inframammary line or IMF).  Technically, he/she did exactly the right thing.  These lines/dents should decrease in visibility with time, and may or may not totally go away.  As you did not object to the size of the implants you got, I am going to assume that you and your plastic surgeon settled on a size that you were and are happy with.  To accomplish your requested size and shape, your plastic surgeon technically created a double bubble.   However, I feel it was to your advantage and if he or she didn't, you would not have the beautiful size and shape you have right now.  The dents under your breasts do not indicate, at all, a capsular contracture, and if I were you, I wouldn't worry.  Things will only get better.

S. Larry Schlesinger, MD, FACS
Honolulu Plastic Surgeon