Non-surgical Tummy Reduction After 140 Lb Weight Loss? (photo)

I lost 140 pounds after RNY gastric bypass. I was a size 24 and am now a size 4. At this point I am at 110 pound weight loss as I regained 30 pounds. 20 planned and 10 that just found me. Am still a size 4. Have excess skin around my stomach, thighs and hips. Would like to get rid of the excess around the middle. Is it possible to do this without surgery?

Loose Skin After Weight Loss

+1

Congratulations on your weight loss. There are many non-surgical lasers and other "skin tightening" devices that are marketed and promise to correct loose skin, but it would be highly improbable that they could achieve any reasonable improvement with the skin excess after massive weight loss. I would suggest that you find a plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and ideally a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) that you trust and are comfortable with. You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person.  

Robert Singer, MD  FACS

La Jolla, California

La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

#Abdominoplasty or #body lift maybe the best option in your situation

+1

Based on your weight loss history I would recommend a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon to discuss your options. Although there are non-surgical skin tightening technologies such as Thermage in case of such a massive weight loss a tummy tuck or a body lift is probably the best option to correct excessive skin folds

Gregory Turowski, MD, PhD

Loose skin after weight loss

+1

Congratulations on losing so much weight! That can be a total life-changer. Unfortunately, the only way to eliminate the extremely loose and redundant skin that results is by excising the excess skin (cutting it out). Lasers and other "skin tightening" devices would be totally inadequate following such significant weight loss. I think you'll be very pleased should you decide to undergo additional surgery to remove and tighten skin and other tissues.

Andres Taleisnik, MD

Pictures of the abdomen would have been helpful

+1

Based on the weight loss history and my experience with weight loss patients, you will need to have surgery to remove the excess skin. Your local board certified plastic surgeons can give you a better answer after in person examination.

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

Only surgery can remove excess skin after weight loss.

+1

After 140 pounds of weight loss the predominant problem in most patients is surplus skin. The only way to get rid of this is to surgically remove it.

Non surgical tummy reduction

+1

Unfortunately not. In fact you would probably need a Lower Body Lift for your truncal area. There are numerous non surgical modalities available. Some work some don't. For your problem unfortunately none work. If still interested find a Plastic surgeon who specializes in post bariatric body contouring, as I do, in your area.

Peter Fisher, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

There are no good non-surgical options for excess skin

+1

Bobbi, 

Big congratulations on your weight loss, that is really impressive and you look great!

Unfortunately, if you have excess skin, the only way to reduce the excess is to excise it.  I know you can read about skin tightening devises, but the results of all of these are subtle at best.  A full tummy tuck, (possible belt lipectomy?) is going to be your best option to continue to improve your contour. 

Good Luck!

Gordon Lewis, MD
Richmond Plastic Surgeon

Significant excess skin requires tummy tuck

+1

Hello Bobbi,

Congratulations on the weight loss.  Unfortunately a non-surgical skin removal or tightening of any significant amount.  A full or circumferential tummy tuck will provide the best abdominal contour.  This will require surgery which of course will require cost and downtime.  

Dr Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD

No non-surgical options for removing excess skin

+1

Hi BobbiK.  Congratulations on your weight loss.  I think you look great.  Unfortunately, there are no non-surgical ways to remove you excess skin.  If you are unhappy with the skin excess, I suggest you see a plastic surgeon in your area.

Lewis Ladocsi, MD, FACS
Richmond Plastic Surgeon

Non-surgical Tummy Reduction After 140 Lb Weight Loss?

+1

One of the easier questions I have answered today--there is not way other than surgery to remove the excess skin after massive weight loss such as you have had. Congratulations on the nice outcome from your surgery. All the best.