Delayed Infection After Breast Reduction?

I had a breast reduction back in Oct. 09. It is April, 2010. A few days ago I noticed this little bump on my left breast appear. It is blackish blue in color and is right where the doctor made the cut. It's small, about the size of a pea. It is flat, just a little harder the the rest of the breast. Is this an infection? Should I be worried?

Breast Reduction Infection?

+1

It would be best for you to be seen by your plastic surgeon.

Based on your description, I think the most likely  cause of your concerns is a longer-lasting absorbable suture that has surfaced and needs to be removed. Once this is done you should go on to heal nicely.

Web reference: http://www.poustiplasticsurgery.com/Procedures/procedure_breastreduction.htm

Breasrt reduction complication

+1

From your description it sounds like it could be a suture that is "spitting, " or working its way to the surface.  But I would see a plastic surgeon to be sure.

Palpable suture

+1

Hi there-

It is very unlikely based on the timing and your symptoms that this represents an infection...

Much more likely is that it is a stitch that has slowly worked its way to the surface.

Pay a visit to your surgeon.

Web reference: http://www.DrArmandoSoto.com

Delayed Breast Reduction Complication

+1

Unless implants are used, it is extremely unlikely that you could have a surgical site infection 6 months after breast surgery. Moreover, the likelihood of your "blackish bluish" bump being a serious complication is virtually zero. It sounds like a stitch working its way to the surface. In this case, your surgeon will snip it and you will be healed in a week's time.

Blue (Bluish) lump in incision following breast reduction

+1

This sounds like either a reaction to a stitch or perhaps to fat. Commonly cysts form that appear bluish from the skin surface. It is not unusual for these to rupture, drain, and heal. If infected they tend to be more painful and are associated with redness and warmth.

Strange spot late in recovery

+1

This should be checked out. It may be an infection due to a retained suture. It may also be something like a small hematoma. Before it gets out of hand, get it checked.

Lump after breast reduction

+1

This could be a cyst or a benign process. But any new lump should be excised and sent to pathology. Have this checked out by your plastic surgeon.

Infection after Breast Reduction

+1

In medicine you can never say never and never say always, but it is very unlikely that what you describe represents an infection this long following your surgery.  The lesion you describe most likely represents a reaction to a retained piece of suture or a cyst.  There are other possibilities, however, and you certainly should check with your surgeon about this.

Infection after breast surgery

+1

This is not an infection. Once you get 2 weeks postop there is almost no chance of having an infection from a breast reduction. It is more likely some kind of suture reaction or cyst. Just call your doctor for a visit.

Web reference: http://www.randcosmeticsugery.com

Could be a delayed stitch abcess

+1

This could be a stitch abcess or a piece of retained suture material. Probably the best thing to do is to go see your plastic surgeon so this can be taken care of before it gets any worse.

Good luck.

Winston Salem Plastic Surgeon