Delayed Areola Attachment After Breast Reduction?

Had surgery on 12/17/12 for breast reduction. Woke up after reduction surgery to learn that my aerola was not attached because of swelling. Went back on 21st , where he cut some of the flesh off and redressed it. Closed on 24th including cutting more of the flesh off. Has anyone ever heard of this? Now on vacation with my boob hurting and my aerola looking raw in places. Should I worry,if so what do I do?

Nipple necrosis after Breast Reduction

+2

When a breast reduction is performed, sometimes the blood supply to the nipple can  be compromised as a result of removing breast tissue. Fortunately, it is not often that this happens, but it can happen. If the blood supply is compromised severely enough, all or part of the nipple/areolar complex can necrose (die). It sounds like this is what happened in your case, although it's difficult to tell to what extent this happened without seeing pictures and having more information. It sounds like your surgeon is treating you by removing any tissue that has died, which is what is typically done in cases like yours. Just be sure that you see him/her regularly until you are completely healed. Hope this helps.

Best of luck to you.

Delayed Areola Attachment

+1

It sounds as if your areola did not completely take to its new location and I recommend that you go to see your operating surgeon as soon as possible.

Scott Loessin, MD
Key West Plastic Surgeon

Partial Areolar Necrosis after Breast Reduction

+1

Your description sounds like partial areolar necrosis that your surgeon debrided.  This can occur following breast reduction and usually can be managed conservatively.  Pain and raw areas in your case is really impossible to evaluate without pictures or an exam.