Should I Delay Rhinoplasty with an Active Hsv 2 Outbreak?

i am having blephroplasty and rhinoplasty but i have an active hsv 2 outbreak. i am taking valtrex currently? should I delay the procedure? is there a real riskof getting hsv in the surgical areas?

+1

Yes, there is always a risk of getting herpes within the elevated tissues during an outbreak.  You should discuss the risk with your Rhinoplasty Surgeon and an infectious diseas MD.  

Risks of Rhinoplasty

+1

The answer to this question really depends on the area of involvement.  HSV 2 outbreaks occur on both genital and oral areas.  If the mouth is involved, even if there is only a small risk, if it happens the consequences can be devastating.  An active herpes infection can lead to permanent scarring, skin irregularities, and recurrence.  Physical stressors, such as surgery, weaken the immune system’s ability to fight infection / viral reactivation. 

If the mucosa of the mouth were involved I would recommend my patient reschedule rather then take an unnecessary risk. 

Hope this helps.

Christopher Kolstad, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Rhinoplasty with Active Infection?

+1

Although the chances of herpes infection the certain areas is small,  it is a risk I would not suggest you take   undergoing elective surgery. Personally, I would suggest you postpone surgery until you are completely infection free.

HSV2 and Rhinoplasty Surgery

+1

Normally HSV2 involves the genital area and not the region around the nose. If this is the case, it would be unlikely to adversely affect your rhinoplasty outcome. Be certain to let your rhinoplasty surgeon know so they can make the final decision.

John M. Hilinski, MD
San Diego Facial Plastic Surgeon

Herpes and Rhinoplasty

+1

If you have an active outbreak of Herpes, you should not have surgery.  Wait until it clears up, and have it rescheduled.

Risk of herpes in rhinoplasty

+1

If the HSV outbreak is on the upper lip, nasal sill area, etc, I would hold off on the rhinoplasty till the wound has healed and a full course of acyclovir or valtrex is completed.  I would also recommend a course of valtrex in the preoperative period around the rhinoplasty to prevent a recurrence after rhinoplasty.

Raghu Athre, MD
Houston Facial Plastic Surgeon

Delay Rhinoplasty because of Herpes Out Break

+1

It depends on where the herpes out break is located.  If is on your lower lip and you are on medication - Acyclovir you probably can proceed with the procedure.  If it is on your upper lip or in your nose I would recommend finishing your course of medication, let the ulcer heal, proceed with surgery but stay on supressive medication during the surgery.

Rondi Kathleen Walker, MD
Washington Facial Plastic Surgeon