Deflation of Saline Implants?

Is it true that a doctor can safely deflate my saline implants a week before my surgery, so I can determine if I want to replace or just remove? I had a doctor tell me this was an option, and then had three more tell me that it's a ludicrous idea. No easy way to know what you'll look like without replacing...or is there?? I live in the UK and am really struggling to find a doctor I can trust.I've had three quotes for the same surgery, and the low/high differ by £5,000!! Help!! Thanks, Debbie

Ludicrous

+1

is the name of a pop singer... and it is NOT a crazy idea to deflate your implants if you want a more accurate ability to size when you are redone.  It does void any warranty on your implant and you have to accept that.  I routinely deflate women who are desiring to increase their size or replacing implants that are aged and they are ALL very happy with their selection of the new size.

Saline Implants Can Be Deflated

+1

It is quite simple to deflate your saline implants in the office prior to surgery so that you could determine whether or not you want replacement.  I do not find this to be ludicrous at all and, in fact, agree with you that it would be a good idea.

John Whitt, MD

Deflating Saline Implants

+1

This is not a ridiculous idea at all.  It can be very helpful to determine if you want to proceed with new implants and/or lift.

Dr. ES

Earl Stephenson, Jr., MD, DDS

Deflation of implants

+1

Some surgeons deflate implants way in advance of removing them to see how the breasts collapse and settle before undergoing a lift.  It can also show asymmetries that may not be appreciated until one undergoes surgery. 

Deflation of saline implants in anticipation of surgery

+1

The technique of deflating saline implants prior to surgery is a known technique well-described in breast surgery.  It is often done more than a week in advance of surgery and is usually done to determine if a lift will be necessary when implants are being removed or replaced to a smaller size.  So it depends on your goals for surgery, but saline implant deflation can be a safe technique.

Naveen Setty, MD, FACS

Preoperative Deflation of Saline Implants

+1

It's a difficult decision when you have conflicting answers to your question...

In general, if your breasts look good and you're not having any issues with your implants other than the age of the implants, don't undergo surgery. If you are interested in down-sizing or up-sizing, then Preoperative Deflation is really the best way to determine which size implants to choose before going through surgery again. Deflation can be done safely with percutaneous needle drainage and suction if done under sterile conditions with minimal risk of bleeding or infection after the procedure.

With the implants deflated you can see what you would look like without implants. If you don't like what your breasts look like deflated, then you can use sizers to more accurately determine the size of your new implants before scheduling your next breast augmentation.

Thank you for your question and best of luck!

Gregory C. Park

Gregory Park, MD

Saline implany deflation

+1

Deflation of implants prior to removal is not a good idea. Complications such as bleeding and infection can occur. The saline is easily absorbed by your body, but the process of making it deflate can cause complications that are not worth going through with it. As far as costs, there are always variation in prices, but what you quoted is very high. Make sure you are comparing costs of same procedure and all costs are included in the fees.

Shahriar Mabourakh, MD, FACS
Sacramento Plastic Surgeon